British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 982

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 15 2012, 3:01 PM BST

but let's not pretend that if something we hated had taken over for two weeks in such a way we wouldn't have been posting here moaning about it being everywhere, and that RC wouldn't have popped an organ in fury.

Everything's a Doctor Who metaphor with you, Stott.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2012, 2:46 PM BST

I suppose there is something nice about doing stuff as a nation and sharing experiences.

As oposed to the endless droning culture of the individual.

you commie bastard!

Quote: chipolata @ August 15 2012, 1:23 PM BST

Hey, don't include me in that. I loved the Olympics and I loved that it wound so many whiny miserable gits up.

Sorry - you got caught in the cross-fire.

Quote: Lazzard @ August 15 2012, 1:16 PM BST

Yeah.
Let's get back to moaning.

Hey, some of us never stopped. Nor shall we. Ever. For ANYTHING.

Quote: Harridan @ August 15 2012, 1:46 PM BST

It's not about being a miserable whiny git, if, like me, you aren't interested in sport it has been a pretty unbearable fortnight. The TV has been taken over, the newspapers, the news websites, radio, general conversation - the Olympics has been everywhere.

In fairness while the Olympics has been going on there has been almost no bad news in the world. Surely that can't be a bad thing?

Sport and elections are the only things that do this, and sports DON'T MATTER.

It's kind of sweet that you think elections do.

Quote: Tursiops @ August 15 2012, 9:37 PM BST

In fairness while the Olympics has been going on there has been almost no bad news in the world. Surely that can't be a bad thing?

Try telling that to the Syrians, Malians etc . . .

Do you vote in every election that you are entitled to vote in ?

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 15 2012, 9:51 PM BST

Try telling that to the Syrians, Malians etc . . .

Oh if you are going to read proper papers...

Do you vote in every election that you are entitled to vote in ?

Guilty of encouraging them as charged.

Elections are important, it's ridiculous to suggest they aren't.

There has been the usual amount of bad news in the world, it's just that people haven't been paying attention to it because they've been distracted by the shiny lights in East London.

If a tree falls on someone in a forest and I am not there to hear...

Quote: Harridan @ August 15 2012, 9:57 PM BST

Elections are important, it's ridiculous to suggest they aren't.

There has been a political consensus in this country for the past quarter of a century. It is largely a question of voting for whose turn it is to rearrange the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Quote: Tursiops @ August 15 2012, 9:59 PM BST

If a tree falls on someone in a forest and I am not there to hear...

I assume that that you'll take that thought forward into the Paralympics then ?

Probably not a good thread in which to have attempted irony.

Are any of you severely embarrassed by your government's threat to storm the Ecuadorian Embassy and grab Julian Assange? Isn't it time the rest of the world told the US to go f**k itself, and started sucking up to China instead?

Yes, extremely. It is appalling to even suggest revoking an embassy status in order to extradite someone

I have to say...I watched nothing of the Olympics (not even the ceremonies and hyped stuff)...we don't have the TV on here much as it is. Plus I'm not a fan of sport. However, I don't mind if other people watch it. It's up to them what they do. I do admire the competitors and their skill, but I don't enjoy watching sport.

My kids are fairly sporty and I'd go to see them play/dance etc...but, I'm never quite sure what's going on. My daughter (the owl one) plays shuttlecock, but she's always losing all her stuff. You have no idea how expensive it is to keep replacing her tennis bats. I think it's three so far! She let go of one while taking a swipe at one of the ball things and it flew straight into a dyke. AND those stupid ball things nearly always get lost on the first whack when there's a high wind. Luckly, she joined a club. The big hall in the leisure centre is much better...no wind...and no dykes!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 16 2012, 9:35 AM BST

Yes, extremely. It is appalling to even suggest revoking an embassy status in order to extradite someone

Not least of all because they didn't do it for Yvonne Fletcher.