British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 837

Yeh like I say dr wgos ambition is all tOo often its downfall

Re the science fiction debate, Doctor Who has never really been pure SF in the way Star Trek or an Asimov short story is. It's science fantasy at best, weith too much timey-wimey spacey-wacey stuff to ever be hardcore sci-fi.

Quote: sootyj @ August 3 2012, 9:42 AM BST

dr wgos

That's very nearly a fantastic typo.

Saw the new trailer.

Mmmm....Not sure. Might be a bit pandering. Skip this series and wait for new assistant I think.

Looks like the trailer itself only features footage from four episodes. The first five before the Christmas special (and new companion) are one part stories.

Quote: chipolata @ August 3 2012, 11:20 AM BST

That's very nearly a fantastic typo.

Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ August 3 2012, 9:07 AM BST

I actually really like the one after the battle with the Borg. Where the crew just take a break on earth and Picard meets up with his brother and gets pissed.

What season was this in? I like the sound of it...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 3 2012, 8:58 AM BST

Unless you think it does. For me, ST:TNG doesn't hold a candle to Who. I always think of Trek as being pretty sterile and dull in comparison; but if that's what you prefer.

I agree. As bad as Who is under Moffat it's much better than Star Trek. I had to look 'The Borg' up. If this is them then the production design is completely laughable.

That's not really typical borg design, they're usually adults and less weirdly muscular. The borg are scary because they're like a mix between the cybermen and the daleks but less camp than both. I much prefer Star Trek to Doctor Who, but it's apples and oranges really - they are completely different styles.

That's the kiddy Voyager Borg I can't believe you accidentally foun d the worst version!

The Borg were always pretty poor as villains. Like I say ST really couldn't action half as well as it thought it could.

But the episodes worked because of the reactions from the awsome cast.

The borg scared the living crap out of me when I was little.

I never got past the stage of noticing that they walked slowly upto people and tried to tickle their ears.

Now the Cardasians there was an awsomely nasty bunch and the Vidians.

Old skool Daleks are for my money the best alien villains in any scifi show.

The Borg were a great baddy. Massive cubes that assimilated everything in their path.

As an idea they were awsome but they never looked all that good up close.

Quote: sootyj @ August 4 2012, 10:31 PM BST

As an idea they were awsome but they never looked all that good up close.

That's like a metaphor for all of us. :(

Quote: sootyj @ August 4 2012, 9:21 PM BST

Old skool Daleks are for my money the best alien villains in any scifi show.

Not sure about villainy, but the Zygons were the most terrifying:

Nice Pic: