British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 832

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 1:04 PM BST

Some fun looking stuff in that trailer;

Cleopatra pulling faces like an Essex girl, The Doctor shouting 'Dinosaurs on a spaceship!', a reference to the Master, Riversong singing 'You can leave your hat on'... Not to mention Times Square and the O.K. Corral. Looks like the usual indigestible Moffat mess.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 2:07 PM BST

That's exactly my feeling. Daleks used to mean people were going to be killed mercilessly and there was no way to reason with them. Now they seem more like incompetent stormtroopers.

Couldn't agree more.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 2 2012, 2:14 PM BST

Cleopatra pulling faces like an Essex girl, The Doctor shouting 'Dinosaurs on a spaceship!', a reference to the Master, Riversong singing 'You can leave your hat on'... Not to mention Times Square and the O.K. Corral. Looks like the usual indigestible Moffat mess.

Yes, I'm sure you won't like it. :)

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 2:04 PM BST

I suppose compared to RTD's wheeling them out every other episode they have been used sparingly. They are still very dull, though.

Well let's see how they're used this time. They're only dull if used in a rubbish manner. As they have been a few times in the last seven years.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 2:04 PM BST

They used to be scary,

Maybe to you, pansy.

I just don't think I'll ever be able to remove this image from my brain:

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 2:53 PM BST

I just don't think I'll ever be able to remove this image from my brain:

:D

Yes, that story is probably the worst of the recent Dalek ones. After the first year, they were certainly treated badly in the RTD years.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 2:49 PM BST

Yes, I'm sure you won't like it. :)

The thing is, apart from you and Moffat, will anyone else.

There were lots of disgruntled voices on here last year and some of those people will watch anything. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 2:49 PM BST

Well let's see how they're used this time. They're only dull if used in a rubbish manner. As they have been a few times in the last seven years.

Oh no, no, no, Mr. Stott. You blindly hoping that this time they'll get it right is not enough to assuage criticism of the ensuing sparkly crapfest we all imagine it will be.

This is the least dark of all the recent Doctor Who trailers and confidence is low. I really thought they were going to turn the corner when we had Nazi Daleks invading WW2 London - instead, we were given a sub-par pile of crying, feely, robot crap.

They've screwed the pooch on the Daleks and should stick to the hokey pantomime dame, comic relief villains they've created in recent years. 'Oh no, a statue is coming towards me incredibly slowly!'

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 2 2012, 3:05 PM BST

The thing is, apart from you and Moffat, will anyone else.

There were lots of disgruntled voices on here last year and some of those people will watch anything. :)

To be fair, a lot of those disgruntled voices were the same voices who have been disgruntled since this thread started. The very first post is a moan.

Come on, the angels are a great monster! We probably don't need them to pop up again for a little while because anything that is overused loses its appeal - but they are a very good monster.

They were effing brilliant.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 3:08 PM BST

Oh no, no, no, Mr. Stott. You blindly hoping that this time they'll get it right is not enough to assuage criticism of the ensuing sparkly crapfest we all imagine it will be.

I think they have got it right many times in the last seven years, and of course made stuff I didn't like as much, too. But what YOU want it to be, and some others on here, and, if I'm honest, what even I would ideally like it to be, is just not going to happen. If it did happen, it would no longer be the family show it's supposed to be, it would be a grown ups show that kids happened to turn on as well.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 3:13 PM BST

Come on, the angels are a great monster! We probably don't need them to pop up again for a little while because anything that is overused loses its appeal - but they are a very good monster.

They certainly are! (Oh, and bad luck, they're back in episode five for their third full story!)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 3:14 PM BST

I think they have got it right many times in the last seven years, and of course made stuff I didn't like as much, too. But what YOU want it to be, and some others on here, and, if I'm honest, what even I would ideally like it to be, is just not going to happen. If it did happen, it would no longer be the family show it's supposed to be, it would be a grown ups show that kids happened to turn on as well.

Have we all forgotten what 'grown up' Doctor Who looks like?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 3:08 PM BST

hokey pantomime dame, comic relief villains they've created in recent years. 'Oh no, a statue is coming towards me incredibly slowly!'

Definitely one of the all time classic Who monsters now; and if we're honest, much better than 90% of the classic series monsters.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 3:16 PM BST

Have we all forgotten what 'grown up' Doctor Who looks like?

:D

Rawr.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 3:17 PM BST

Definitely one of the all time classic Who monsters now; and if we're honest, much better than 90% of the classic series monsters.

It's a statue Matt, I could kill it with a hammer when it's standing still. Visually, I do think they are very cool but the sheer fact that most of them could be pushed over and broken into pieces quite easily takes the fear factor away somewhat. Unless they are indestructible, but even then, you could scoop them up in a big net and drop them in a volcano or at the bottom of the sea.

The villains in the classic series were often very well written and had decent motivations for their actions. It's only the ropey costumes that let them down. We have now gone a total 180, with great looking monsters just doing stuff.