British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 831

The new series must be soon
I'm surprised we haven't had a teaser trailer type thing.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 27 2012, 3:52 PM BST

Coincidentally both assistants were in the show for only a season but they're probably the two best remembered and loved of the short-run ones. I think they both left to have babies too which is another co-incidence, although there were plans to write Liz Shaw out. Her character was slightly ahead of its time and was replaced by a dolly bird (Jo Grant).

Caroline's stories are not the best (Inferno anyone?) but she's great in all of them and it's a shame she didn't do more, I could watch her all day. She also comfortably out-acts Pertwee and all the U.N.I.T. hams.

Mary Tamm has claimed that she quit because she felt let down by the scripts, which relegated her to the role of 'damsel in distress' rather than making her an equal to the Doctor. And she claimed JNT spread a rumour that she left because she was pregnant.

I would happily watch Inferno rather than any current Who. Yes, Caroline John superior to Bonnie Langford and Sophie Aldred. My favourite of the short-run companions was Harry Sullivan.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ July 28 2012, 2:10 AM BST

The new series must be soon
I'm surprised we haven't had a teaser trailer type thing.

I think there's one next week, the new series is supposed to start the end of August.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 28 2012, 7:51 AM BST

Mary Tamm has claimed that she quit because she felt let down by the scripts, which relegated her to the role of 'damsel in distress' rather than making her an equal to the Doctor. And she claimed JNT spread a rumour that she left because she was pregnant.

I would happily watch Inferno rather than any current Who. Yes, Caroline John superior to Bonnie Langford and Sophie Aldred. My favourite of the short-run companions was Harry Sullivan.

Surely not another reason to hate JNT.

Harry is brilliant - especially in his (solar) flares. I would rather stare at the Inferno DVD slipcase than watch current Who but by the high standards of the 70s show it drags and is padded to hell.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 28 2012, 11:15 AM BST

I think there's one next week, the new series is supposed to start the end of August.

It takes Moffat a long time to put together all that convoluted bollocks he likes.

The problem with Inferno is they basically run the plot twice. It could have made a great four-parter.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 28 2012, 11:31 AM BST

It takes Moffat a long time to put together all that convoluted bollocks he likes.

It's actually starting earlier than was at first thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7YGoVyRSik Series 7 trailer.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 2 2012, 9:15 AM BST

Oh thank god. They seem to have got rid off those shitty, awful new Daleks and replaced it with the good old ones.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 2 2012, 9:15 AM BST

So we're back to the usual formula of a pile of donkey balls covered in glitter, sparklers and Haribos. Was really hoping for a change in direction from the CBBC, shouting is acting, emotional fairytale bullshit that has plagued recent series, but apparently not.

:|

Some fun looking stuff in that trailer; very much looking forward to the Dalek episode.

So much for giving the daleks a rest. I am so fed up with them, they are just so bloody boring.

And I thought we were rid of the incessantly uninteresting Amy Pond? How many times are we saying goodbye to her?

Not quite as excited as I want to be.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 1:49 PM BST

So much for giving the daleks a rest. I am so fed up with them, they are just so bloody boring.

They haven't had their own story since Matt Smith's third episode; so they have had a rest by this series standards.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 2 2012, 1:55 PM BST

They haven't had their own story since Matt Smith's third episode; so they have had a rest by this series standards.

I suppose compared to RTD's wheeling them out every other episode they have been used sparingly. They are still very dull, though.

Quote: Harridan @ August 2 2012, 1:49 PM BST

I am so fed up with them, they are just so bloody boring.

They used to be scary, kill loads of people and be a real threat to the Doctor. A lot of the time in the old series, he couldn't even defeat them, just escaping alive was considered a big deal.

Now he just wanders up, has a chat, waves his magic wand sonic screwdriver and voila, threat ended.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 2:04 PM BST

They used to be scary, kill loads of people and be a real threat to the Doctor. A lot of the time in the old series, he couldn't even defeat them, just escaping alive was considered a big deal.

Now he just wanders up, has a chat, waves his magic wand sonic screwdriver and voila, threat ended.

That's exactly my feeling. Daleks used to mean people were going to be killed mercilessly and there was no way to reason with them. Now they seem more like incompetent stormtroopers.