British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 920

25 squids!

I do want to go up though.

Quote: zooo @ July 5 2012, 11:53 PM BST

25 squids!

I do want to go up though.

I do. The only ones that freak me out are those with a glass floor. Do you have any idea how terrifying it is to hang underneath those things just to get a quick glimpse up a girls skirt?

I should get a bleedin' medal.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 5 2012, 11:48 PM BST

but you can see 40 miles away on a good day.

That's far to close to the metropolis . . . . .

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 5 2012, 11:57 PM BST

I do. The only ones that freak me out are those with a glass floor.

Heh. It'll be way less scary than the London Eye. And I think a bit cheaper. So it's all win.

(Not that the London Eye has a glass floor. It's just scary.)

Quote: zooo @ July 6 2012, 12:00 AM BST

Heh. It'll be way less scary than the London Eye. And I think a bit cheaper. So it's all win.

I've been up the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty and here in London, the 39th Floor of Cromwell Tower in Barbican. I'm not great with heights, but if the structure is sound enough, it belays my fears somewhat.

I suppose being up the Shard in a high windstorm, like that poor window cleaner, would be a different story though.

Is there not a difference between the tallest structure and the tallest building?

Is the Eiffel Tower a building?

Unlike those spoilsports at BT Tower, the Shard will be letting us plebs go up and have a look around from the Observation Area. No doubt, they'll probably charge for it, the bastards, but you can see 40 miles away on a good day.

You're too young, but when the BT tower first opened there was a public gallery & a rotating restaurant up there. I did go up to the gallery once.

I doubt that the Shard public gallery will stay open for very many years. The 'real estate' is too valuable. As soon as the number of paying visitors drop below a useful financial level, it'll get converted & rented out.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 5 2012, 11:57 PM BST

I do. The only ones that freak me out are those with a glass floor. Do you have any idea how terrifying it is to hang underneath those things just to get a quick glimpse up a girls skirt?

I should get a bleedin' medal.

Somewhere I have a photo of my feet standing on clear glass floor of the big CN tower in Toronto Canada. The view goes straight down 1,108.9 ft (that's higher than the Shard). It was funny watching people skirting around the glass section of the floor in the gallery; as an engineer I knew that the glass part of the floor is actually stronger than the concrete floor of the gallery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85zPnWXy7o

Is there not a difference between the tallest structure and the tallest building?

Is the Eiffel Tower a building?

No, it's just the scaffolding.

Quote: zooo @ July 6 2012, 12:00 AM BST

I don't have a problem with heights but confined spaces, even in glass, terrify me.
Imagine being stuck in a London Eye pod with an overripe smelly 'nana!

Would you snog miranda hart?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 6 2012, 12:05 AM BST

I'm not great with heights, but if the structure is sound enough, it belays my fears somewhat.

Mmm structurally sound

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 5 2012, 6:32 PM BST

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/electronic-cigarette-incites-terror-frenzy-on-british-highway/2012/07/05/gJQAiDmePW_blog.html

The electronic cigarette M6 Bomb Scare has gone global.

Yes it's probably made the world laugh at us again but it's hard to see how else they could have reacted to that. They did the right thing and it probably served as a good real life practice run for the emergencey services, possibly the best piece of training they've had for such an event. And it's good in that it does show how seriously we're taking security threats now.

Yes I mean there don't appear to be reports of excessive force or anything like that- it is no doubt a little embarassing, but in reality they did their job and by the sounds of it, did it well.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 6 2012, 9:25 AM BST

And it's good in that it does show how seriously we're taking security threats now.

A cynic might point out that governments often overstate the nature of such threats in order to justify bringing in a more oppressive regime.

All be it no one asked the question

Why blow up a mega bus how could the passengers lives be any worse?

That's the point, Sooty, no one would expect the megabus!

Even though it turned out to be nothing, the emergency services response gave me comfort. Nice to know they are ready for such attacks.