British Comedy Guide

Hi my name is Maureen and I live in Collie western Australia. I enjoy Jam and Jerusalem, although I thought the first couple of episodes had me wondering if it would improve as it went along. Thankfully it has and now I look forward to watching it each week.
What I am hoping is that someone out there can tell me what does "It's not all jam and Jerusalem" actually mean. Or is it just something that Jennifer Saunders made up.

Oh no, Jam and Jerusalem has ended up in Australia?

Hello. Wave

Welcome! :)

Quote: maureen giblett @ January 25, 2008, 3:21 PM

What I am hoping is that someone out there can tell me what does "It's not all jam and Jerusalem" actually mean. Or is it just something that Jennifer Saunders made up.

Jerusalem is a song, which has been all but adopted as the official anthem of the Women's Institute.

Jam is the stereotypical produce of members of the institute. Fruit preserves and so on, sold at village fetes.

And they're pretty much all that most people know about the organisation, hence "it's not all jam and Jerusalem" - in other words "we do other stuff too".

Hope that helps, and welcome to the site. Wave

Thanks guys, that's cleared that up then

You can download a performance of Jerusalem, I think from the BBC Proms, here. :)

As an aside, there's a campaign to have Jerusalem adopted as England's national anthem, although unlikely to prove fruitful at any point in the near future.

How do and g'day.

Yo!

YoYo Amigo.

¡Hola! Have fun! (my sister's in WA ... say hello if you bump into her)

Hello Maureen and welcome - although I'm always suspicious that anyone who comes on here liking Jennifer Saunders stuff is her in disguise.

As they say in England, Hello.

Welcome:D

G'day Wave

Hello there