British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 876

I went to a Catholic school and the nuns there dressed a bit more traditionally.

I find this depressing. http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-worlds-50-most-expensive-cities-20120612-207lr.html

According to this survey it is cheaper to live in London than most capital cities in Australia.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 13 2012, 3:44 PM BST

I've always been a bit confused by the 'woods for the trees' opinions out in the world. Everyone seems fine with playing a hired assassin who kills for money, but throw in some sexy nuns and everyone freaks out. Seems a very strange sliding scale of morality.

I also think it's kind of sexist that 99% of male video game characters are defined by just how much bloody violence they can inflict on others. I, for one, have never taken on an entire army of alien robots single handed, but still consider myself to be a man.

That's what you get with hot button issues. The problem is, it totally ruins it for the 'sensible feminists' out there and goes all Boy Who Cried Wolf on us. If we claim every sexualised depiction of a woman is sexist, then who will give a toss when we raise actual serious issues.

Agent 47 doesn't kill the ladies because they're ladies. He kills them because they f**king started it.

And I totally agree with you about the sexist depiction of men. It's at least, if not more prolific, for a video game character to have their worth measured by their biceps and ability to squeeze someone's face until it pops off. But of course you know why one is offensive and the other isn't, right? It's not all about the way someone is presented, it;s what it represents culturally and historically that is the issue.

Quote: reds @ June 13 2012, 3:47 PM BST

I find this depressing. http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-worlds-50-most-expensive-cities-20120612-207lr.html

According to this survey it is cheaper to live in London than most capital cities in Australia.

Yeah, but you guys get paid shitloads more than us.

Is that the game ad Charlie Brooker was talking about on Twitter a couple of days ago? If so he definitely thought it was sexist. If not, there's another one doing the rounds.

Quote: Nogget @ June 13 2012, 3:56 PM BST

Yeah, but you guys get paid shitloads more than us.

Maybe if you have a job in the Mines. If that's the case you aren't living in city most of the time.
Wages for shop assistants and many other jobs aren't that great.

Quote: zooo @ June 13 2012, 3:59 PM BST

Is that the game ad Charlie Brooker was talking about on Twitter a couple of days ago? If so he definitely thought it was sexist. If not, there's another one doing the rounds.

This might be the firt time I've knowingly disagreed with Charlie Brooker.

It's certainly symptomatic of the wider issue of oversexualised representations of comic-esque characters, that I agree with, but as a stand alone piecem, I don't think it's any more sexist than the majority of games out there. And dramatically LESS sexist than some of the 'Relationship RPGs' coming out of the Japanese market. COmpared to them, this is f**king liberating. But I suppose this shouldn't be a race to the bottom. Haha, bottom.

Are we sure this wasn't skewed by the fact there are about a hundred Australian dollars to a pound? ;)

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 13 2012, 3:54 PM BST

Agent 47 doesn't kill the ladies because they're ladies. He kills them because they f**king started it.

Peter Sutcliffe's missus used a similar argument.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 13 2012, 3:26 PM BST

We already did that building the Olympic Park.

Topical!

It was built in Hackney so it was part of the indigenous culture.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 13 2012, 3:54 PM BST

But of course you know why one is offensive and the other isn't, right?

Honestly, I haven't got a flippin' clue what is and what isn't sexist anymore. It doesn't help that women are so fractured on what is acceptable and what isn't to an almost individual, case-by-case basis, that it just makes everything horribly depressing.

Are Disney Princesses and Katie Price horrifically terrible role models for young girls? I would say yes, loads of chicks would say no.

Are adverts for cat food in which a woman almost has sex with her cat both creepy and sexist? You betcha, but it makes chicks buy overpriced tinned meat for their flea bitten moggies, so what the hell do I know?

What I do know, is that I've given up giving a shit whether something is sexist or not - except on the BCG because I know it's provocative.

All you can do is decide what YOU think is sexist, really. Not worry about what other people think is, because like you say, everyone has a different opinion.

I know what you're saying, RC. The line between exploitative and empowering is beyond fuzzy.

I go with a general rule of: if the depiction is suggesting that the value of the person is linked to their sexual appeal or domestic servitude, then it's sexist. If it isn't, then it's probably just stupid rather than sexist.

Quote: zooo @ June 13 2012, 4:13 PM BST

All you can do is decide what YOU think is sexist, really. Not worry about what other people think is, because like you say, everyone has a different opinion.

Yurp.

Whatever the judgments thereon, it's all manufactured for men. They are the market force, the demand for the supply. Don't give it up, girls.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 13 2012, 4:19 PM BST

Whatever the judgments thereon, it's all manufactured for men. They are the market force, the demand for the supply. Don't give it up, girls.

Nah, give it up all you like- just don't expect it to gain you respect or affection. If you allow yourself to be a disposable product, then that's what others will see you as.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 13 2012, 4:19 PM BST

Except the success of '50 Shades of Grey' has sent out yet another confusing message about 'empowerment'.