British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

I read the news today oh boy! Page 871

Every sinew of my irritatingly liberal being is telling me not to find this incredibly funny

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428684.100-menstrual-huts-protect-dogon-men-from-cuckoldry.html

It is worrying, from a feminist point of view.
But still funny.
And I am thoroughly curious about this

women are required to tell their husbands when they menstruate

I mean, I'm sure they're much more modest and humble and classy than 'us', but how do the blokes not know? Isn't there a version of 'darling, please get me a massive stack of chocolate' in every culture?

They probably go a bit mental too.

Quote: AJGO @ June 12 2012, 9:53 PM BST

Every sinew of my irritatingly liberal being is telling me not to find this incredibly funny

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428684.100-menstrual-huts-protect-dogon-men-from-cuckoldry.html

It is worrying, from a feminist point of view.

It's more worrying from a husband's point of view. Imagine if your wife is such a slag bag that you have to force her into a hut once a month so she won't shag your neighbour and get preggers?

West Mali chicks are ho's y'all.

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 9:30 PM BST

And I find your lack of faith in humanity rather disturbing. The average person tends to tell the truth rather than concoct elaborate murder schemes.

Murder thankfully is the behaviour of the not so average

Quote: AJGO @ June 12 2012, 9:53 PM BST

One of the examples of a more primitve society is the obsessive need to control female sexuality and fertility.

That and how succesful would Pizza Hut's "hit the hut campaign2

go over in Mali?

Quote: Tursiops @ June 12 2012, 9:32 PM BST

I shall spare the Jehovah's Witnesses of Fort Lauderdale from certain death.

?

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 8:00 PM BST

:P :D

Quote: sootyj @ June 12 2012, 10:12 PM BST

One of the examples of a more primitve society is the obsessive need to control female sexuality and fertility.

Not just primitive societies, we in the West have a very strong tradition of children being born in wedlock and the husband also being the father, probably to do with successive lines of inheritance and legacy.

The thing is, when the chicks aren't in the hut, they're still shagging away, just not getting preggo. The husbands can't stop that, they just want to raise their own children - which is obviously outrageous, anti-feminist, etc. Unimpressed

I don't actually understand what that article is saying.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 7:15 PM BST

You know, I'm always getting the Newsnight Serious Political Forum mixed up with the British Comedy Forum. I can only apologise.

EDIT: And thanks for saying I'm fabulous. I think you are great too. In fact, I would pay money to see a whole evening of your Will Cam sketches and for once I'm being totally serious. They crack me up every time.

OUR WILL CAM IS SITTING IN HIS PARLOUR LENT OVER HIS TYPE WRITER PAINFULLY SLOWLY TYPING ON AN ANCIENT TYPE WRITER.
SOOTYJ(THE WHIPPET) SITS BEHIND HIM SNARLING

SOOTYJ
Woof, woof, woof, woof

WE CAN SEE OUR WILLCAM HAS BEEN TYPING "Woof woof woof, bark"

SOOTYJ BITES OUR WILLCAM ON HIS BOTTOM.

OUR WILL CAM
ooyah! Sorry Mr Sootyj no more mistakes.

MRS OUR WILL CAM WALKS IN CARRYING A PIE WITH 4 CATS LEGS AND A TALE STICKING STRAIGHT IN THE AIR OUT OF IT.

MRS OUR WILL CAM
Teas ready! Our Will Cam you silly bugger only you could get bloody demoted from an imaginary job. By the flaming wippet!

THE PIE MEOWS PITEOUSLY

MRS OUR WILL CAM
Bloody pie's not done yet.

SOOTYJ
Grrr!

OUR WILL CAM
Right you our Mr Sootyj I'll put the wireless onto your favourite show.

OUR WILL CAM DESPERATELY FIDDLES WITH THE WIRELESS

VOICE OF THE WIRELESS
Yo Yo and get down with BBC Yoot! Sticking it to da man wi da man' license fee!
And now brederen it's the Renegade NCP revoloution. With DJ Renegade NCP da man's gotta bonnet for da bee.

RENEGADE NCP
Yo dis is Renegade NCP sticking it to da liberality, before my mum calls me for my tea!

So I was in Tescos da other day
And them liberals were making me gay
Heston Blumenthal buns
Jamie Oliver Tongue
You homos all want my bum!

And now bloods I's gotta to split
It's minikievs andthat's the shit!

RADIO ANNOUNCER
And now for Radio Head's new album about Hackney, the ends.

MRS OUR WILL CAM WALKS BACK IN WALKS IN WITH AN EMPTY PIE TIN
AND AN ANGRY CAT ON HER HEAD DIGGING HER CLAWS IN

MRS OUR WILL CAM
Teas delayed.

Quote: zooo @ June 12 2012, 10:38 PM BST

I don't actually understand what that article is saying.

Basically, the women of that particular tribe have numerous sexual partners and paternity tests show that in at least 1 in 4 cases, they are giving birth to children by different fathers.

The husbands don't want to raise someone else's child, so they hope by putting the women in the huts during their most fertile time, they won't have sex with strange men and get pregnant.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 10:32 PM BST

Not just primitive societies, we in the West have a very strong tradition of children being born in wedlock and the husband also being the father, probably to do with successive lines of inheritance and legacy.

The thing is, when the chicks aren't in the hut, they're still shagging away, just not getting preggo. The husbands can't stop that, they just want to raise their own children - which is obviously outrageous, anti-feminist, etc. Unimpressed

Shh, it's okay RC, soothing sounds. No-one is disputing people wanting to be reasonably confident of paternity.

But while there are points in the menstrual cycle that one is more likely to get pregnant, putting a woman in a hut doesn't prevent her from getting up the duff by another fella some other time.
And while the stereotype is of men not caring except when it's regarding 'their kid', I'm sure lots of men would also not like their missus to shag around due to emotional betrayal even if they didn't become pregnant.
And the concept of putting your missus in a hut is really not cool at all. Very funny, yes, but not cool.

Quote: sootyj @ June 12 2012, 10:39 PM BST

RADIO ANNOUNCER
And now for Radio Head's new album about Hackney, the ends.

Laughing out loud I would give almost anything to hear this

Quote: AJGO @ June 12 2012, 10:40 PM BST

But while there are points in the menstrual cycle that one is more likely to get pregnant, putting a woman in a hut doesn't prevent her from getting up the duff by another fella some other time.

That's the major flaw in the scheme. Women ovulate at different times and unless the whole tribe is synched up to only lay eggs during menstruation, then it's a non-starter.

For all we know, the women of the tribe may have come up with the hut idea to fool their husbands. They get to sit around for 5 days doing bugger all whilst the husbands have to look after the kids and do all the work. The men are too stupid to realise that the wives can get up the stick at any time, but mistakenly believe that they are safe.

nb c'mon I finally get round to giving you a guest starring role in the saga of Our Will Cam and Sootyj.

I demand recongnition I will not be ignored!

Ah, thanks you two. The fact that women are/can be most fertile at times other than actual menstruation was confusing me. Usually it's afterwards isn't it?
Not that I have a clue since I'm not currently looking to get sprogged up.

Zooo I thought you knew?

David the Gnome makes babies in his magic workshop and then gives them to the helicopter cat to deliver.