British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 864

Fred West bought me a pint once.

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 3:02 PM BST

I'm in both camps, but I must add that killing someone in the commission of a violent crime isn't punishing an abuser, it's making the attacker stop his attack. Period.

Wellthat's fair.

I actually agree with you on most areas with regards to citizens being able to defend themselves.

I only divide from from you, in that I think when ever anyone dies from unnatural causes there should be a proper investigation.

So I view this in the same way as someone choking on a bone in KFC or drowning in a swimming pool.

He could technically have just hit him once very hard in the head, to kill him.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 12 2012, 2:58 PM BST

RCSI Texas.

What a cool show that would be. Me and Dabutt on the mean streets of Austin, driving around in our beat up Buick looking for criminals and eating donuts.

'Freeze scum wad!'

'Quick run! It's the BCG!'

*cue 70s theme tune*

Quote: zooo @ June 12 2012, 3:06 PM BST

That's why I'd like a full and, if possible, quite lurid, description.

Cor.

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 3:05 PM BST

I'm quite certain that supporting an individual's right to self-defence isn't a conservative view, rather it's a basic human right and instinct.

Again agreed. Just that the investigation seemed to be wound up very early.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 3:07 PM BST

What a cool show that would be. Me and Dabutt on the mean streets of Austin,

We've already had it, haven't we?

Quote: sootyj @ June 12 2012, 3:06 PM BST

Wellthat's fair.

I actually agree with you on most areas with regards to citizens being able to defend themselves.

I only divide from from you, in that I think when ever anyone dies from unnatural causes there should be a proper investigation.

So I view this in the same way as someone choking on a bone in KFC or drowning in a swimming pool.

I'm with you a million percent.

Was the farmworker black?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 12 2012, 2:29 PM BST

This is the contentious point though really, isn't it? If the whole thing was caught on CCTV there would be absolutely no doubt, and I don't think a single person on here would disagree with him being let off scott free. The problem is that a man is dead and the only person who really knows what happens is the man who killed him. No one wants the guy to suffer any more than he already has, and honestly I believe he's probably totally innocent and that his version of events is true- but belief shouldn't be enough.

This case isn't being judged based on belief, it's being judged based on evidence. As the sheriff stated, there's no evidence that shows that a crime was committed by the father. Should the father be jailed and dragged through a lengthy, expensive and painful trial (with his daughter as a witness) before he can finally return to his life?

Just reading Homicide by the guy who wrote the Wire.

Did you know in Baltimore the homicide cops investigate; people drowning in swimming pools as well as murders.

Quote: chipolata @ June 12 2012, 3:09 PM BST

We've already had it, haven't we?

:O

You're just jealous that your rubbish British cop show 'Chip and Ting' failed to get an audience over 200,000.

Whereas RCSI Texas was sold in over 80 foreign territories and the lunch boxes and action figures are still highly prized collectables to this day.

Quote: DaButt @ June 12 2012, 3:11 PM BST

This case isn't being judged based on beliefe, it's being judged based on evidence. As the sheriff stated, there's no evidence that shows that a crime was committed by the father. Should the father be jailed and dragged through a lengthy, expensive and painful trial (with his daughter as a witness) before he can finally return to his life?

You've identified a whole bunch of extremely valid points

1 The accused shouldn't be bankrupted by court cases
2 People shouldn't be jailed needlessly (thats what bails for)
3 And you mentioned earlier lack of privacy.

Completely agree with you.

But are you suggesting that your criminal justice system is so faulty, that its better for potential criminals to not even put a toe in it?
Then that's very scary.

Quote: zooo @ June 12 2012, 3:06 PM BST

Exactly. It happens all the time.