British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

I read the news today oh boy! Page 862

It's bizarre to me that liberal and PC are used as insults. I mean, if someont in the street spat "oi you liberal" at me, I'd be all like "er yeah, thanks?". Some seem to think that being liberal (I'm pretty far left by most peoples' standards) means having bizarre and unshakable views which are smug and hamper rights of freedom. There are of course some who take things altogether too far 'in the name of human rights'. Example, I absolutely 100% believe that violent criminals should not get the right to vote and that Brussells should go f**k itself. Damaging the rights of another means you sacrifice your own.

In the same way that Conservative doesn't mean the same as Nazi, Liberal doesn't mean doughie eyed hippy.

Quote: sootyj @ June 12 2012, 2:16 PM BST

I'm thinking also about the Trayvon case.

Trumped up? He killed a guy, it atleast deserves an investigation.

But as ever I believe DaButt actually believe what he types.

Yes, trumped up charges. If he committed a justifiable homicide, then charging him with a crime he did not commit, is trumped up. If they wanted, the court system could throw in all manner of manslaughter charges, like in the Trayvon case. Thankfully this time round, they saw reason.

Very well put and here's another take from the Westwing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTFp7WG9J-E

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 12 2012, 2:19 PM BST

Some seem to think that being liberal (I'm pretty far left by most peoples' standards) means having bizarre and unshakable views which are smug and hamper rights of freedom.

I'm using the words PC and Liberal in the context of a 'group think' attitude to life and deliberately ignoring common sense to comply with a code of conduct created by a bourgeois middle class elite.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 12 2012, 2:19 PM BST

In the same way that Conservative doesn't mean the same as Nazi, Liberal doesn't mean doughie eyed hippy.

*nods furiously in agreement*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 2:22 PM BST

Yes, trumped up charges. If he committed a justifiable homicide, then charging him with a crime he did not commit, is trumped up. If they wanted, the court system could throw in all manner of manslaughter charges, like in the Trayvon case. Thankfully this time round, they saw reason.

Neither you me nor Mystic Meg knows what happened.

For all I know ET the space nonce got her.

But to speak about closing a case so swiftly speaks about an absence of due process.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 2:22 PM BST

If he committed a justifiable homicide

This is the contentious point though really, isn't it? If the whole thing was caught on CCTV there would be absolutely no doubt, and I don't think a single person on here would disagree with him being let off scott free. The problem is that a man is dead and the only person who really knows what happens is the man who killed him. No one wants the guy to suffer any more than he already has, and honestly I believe he's probably totally innocent and that his version of events is true- but belief shouldn't be enough.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 2:26 PM BST

I'm using the words PC and Liberal in the context of a 'group think' attitude to life and deliberately ignoring common sense to comply with a code of conduct created by a bourgeois middle class elite.

Have you been smoking Fox News?

If I agree with Nat any more my head's going to fall off.

I'd bet this is a smaller group than you think, and it's mainly institutionalised PC caused by excessive red tape and hand smacking. This doesn't really represent many actually people.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 2:06 PM BST

Let's try and keep this within the realms of the argument and not descend to personal attacks.

You lib-tard hippy-crite.

This "common sense"? Where can I get some?

Hmmm.. some deep-seated rage issues there. I blame "summer jacket syndrome".

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 12 2012, 2:29 PM BST

and honestly I believe he's probably totally innocent and that his version of events is true- but belief shouldn't be enough.

Yeah, like in the Jill Dando case, if there's no evidence to convict, the cops should sweat this guy until he confesses - guilty or not. Then they'll be justice.

And that is my worry with any further investigations, prosecutions and trials. Once the department starts clocking up the cash, they'll be pressure for a jail term from both the public and the accountants, regardless of innocence.

If the police do not think there is enough evidence to charge this man, then there is not evidence to charge this man. Presuming his guilt for the sake of ticking a 'liberal' box is pointless and cruel.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 12 2012, 2:35 PM BST

You lib-tard hippy-crite.

This was not aimed at any poster individually. Just the hive mind.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 2:39 PM BST

for the sake of ticking a 'liberal' box

:(

nb PC is a lovely mutable term. It merely reflects political orthodoxy of the time.

So in Cameron's lovely big society; suspecting the disabled and condemning anyone on benefits is the new PC. Check out how Lab and Lib sing from the same hymn sheet.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 12 2012, 2:39 PM BST

Yeah, like in the Jill Dando case, if there's no evidence to convict, the cops should sweat this guy until he confesses - guilty or not. Then they'll be justice.

But that shouldn't be the only other option. We either don't investigate, or we force confessions?

When did our standards become so low?