British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 979

Quote: rwayne @ June 11 2012, 11:09 AM BST

A bigger concern might be why a generation of, I assume, mainly young people are pissing their lives away obsessively playing fantasy video games.

Because real life sucks. When was the last time you killed a dragon with a magic sword? Must be at least a couple of years.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 11 2012, 11:13 AM BST

Because real life sucks. When was the last time you killed a dragon with a magic sword? Must be at least a couple of years.

Then if your 'real life' sucks, as you say, wouldn't it make more sense to do something about it rather than run away to fantasy land?

Quote: rwayne @ June 11 2012, 11:16 AM BST

Then if your 'real life' sucks, as you say, wouldn't it make more sense to do something about it rather than run away to fantasy land?

Yeah, that's what we do as a civilisation...oh look, Morrisons is offering 20 cans of lager for the price of 10.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 11 2012, 11:13 AM BST

In the context of the subject that's a very interesting choice of words though... I'm almost tempted to add a small face here.

I think Renegade is slightly the boy who cried wolf in this. Make a sensible point and get beaten up for previous out there remarks.

Feminism is in many ways a most unique movement. Has any historical movement represented so many and been so succesful?

But at the same time been so divided against it's self.

Violent video games may be awful and may have a terrible effect. But what about the cult of misery and self abnegation within chick lit?

And DS Lawrence.

Quote: sootyj @ June 11 2012, 11:20 AM BST

Violent video games may be awful and may have a terrible effect.

Video games are just the latest scapegoats for societies ills - jazz music, heavy metal, Teddy Boys, comic books, video nasties, etc. - they're all really convenient and easily labelled products that the moral minority can tackle.

And to be honest, I'd rather my future children stayed in playing World Of Warcraft for hours on end instead of snorting the latest designer amphetamine in a club at 4am.

DS Lawrence?

Is that a new sunday afternoon crime drama set in Dorchester in the nineteenth century?

Quote: rwayne @ June 11 2012, 11:09 AM BST

I'm sure people aren't 'made' sexist by how a video game looks, people bring the attitudes they already have to it.

Incorrect. Sexism and bigotry of all sorts is perpetuated by the media and entertainment industry, whether it be video games, movies, news etc. The use of casual sexism in every day life (play it in a game, drive past a bill board) perpetuates the idea that it's okay to think of women as second class, or as a purely sexual object.

Not that I agree with the above kickstarter project. I don't. I think there are better and less self-serving ways of dealing with the issue. But it doesn't mean that the issue doesn't exist.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 11 2012, 11:26 AM BST

Incorrect. Sexism and bigotry of all sorts is perpetuated by the media and entertainment industry, whether it be video games, movies, news etc. The use of casual sexism in every day life (play it in a game, drive past a bill board) perpetuates the idea that it's okay to think of women as second class, or as a purely sexual object.

Not that I agree with the above kickstarter project. I don't. I think there are better and less self-serving ways of dealing with the issue. But it doesn't mean that the issue doesn't exist.

Did you mean you believe it to be incorrect?... because that would be fine.

Quote: sootyj @ June 11 2012, 10:52 AM BST

But I'd say it's more about her messing with peoples idea of fun, then her views on gender politics.

I think you're bang on here. She isn't being attacked because she's a woman or even a feminist, she's being attacked because of her criticism of an industry that a lot of mental internet types are very protective of.

There were almost as many anti-semitic comments on there as the anti-feminist ones. If she had been a black man making similar comments about the way that African people were portrayed in gaming, I'm sure the comments would be more overtly racist.

The abuse isn't motivated by the complaint content, but it uses whichever most offensive subject the bastards can find.

The internet perpetuates this awful culture of abuse without concequence, it's damn scary.

Quote: sootyj @ June 11 2012, 11:26 AM BST

DS Lawrence?

Is that a new sunday afternoon crime drama set in Dorchester in the nineteenth century?

:D F**king good idea!!!

Quote: rwayne @ June 11 2012, 11:28 AM BST

Did you mean you believe it to be incorrect?... because that would be fine.

I mean that this is generally accepted among bra burners like myself to be an incorrect statement. If you would like to argue that negative stereotypes (of all kinds) are not perpetuated by western media and entertainment industries, I'd invite you to have a go.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 11 2012, 11:32 AM BST

I mean that this is generally accepted among bra burners like myself to be an incorrect statement. If you would like to argue that negative stereotypes (of all kinds) are not perpetuated by western media and entertainment industries, I'd invite you to have a go.

I said that people have attitudes set, largely, early on.

Surely, to 'perpetuate' something it needs to exist already?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 11 2012, 11:31 AM BST

I think you're bang on here. She isn't being attacked because she's a woman or even a feminist, she's being attacked because of her criticism of an industry that a lot of mental internet types are very protective of.

I could not agree more. Good point, very well made. You may put your feet up for a few minutes and can finish the hoovering later.

;)