British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 154

Star Wars: Heir to the Empire

such a geek!

Quote: dellas @ June 6 2012, 8:26 PM BST

Fahrenheit 451 - brilliant dystopian insight into a future that is NOW!

Hang on a minute.. you're currently reading a book about a civilisation in which books are banned and burned, which "is NOW!" ??

I'm calling the police.

You'd better make a run for it, dellas. Don't forget your bus pass.

Sad news about Ray Bradbury. One of my favourite writers growing up, especially his short stories. Pity we never colonised Mars for him.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2012, 6:08 PM BST

Working my way through Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman'.

How is it? Am reading American Gods at the moment.

My cabbie just dropped off 'Ataturk-The Rebirth of a Nation' by Patrick Kinross, so am clearly destined to be reading lengthy tomes for the foreseeable future

Winter King, the Dawn of Tudor England by Thomas Penn. A rather good biography of Henry VII.

At the moment, The Dragon Can't Dance by Earl Lovelace, but it's a bit heavy for post-degree reading. I just ordered Perks of Being a Wallflower though.

The sequel to The 3rd World War by Sir Pete DeBilliere

Yes I'm reading an errata to a fictional novel about armagedon written by a dead man.

I like fun.

;) StylleTT; a reference to closure of public libraries and the relevance of high-tech' methods of communication ? Or do you require more explanation?

(maybe it was the bus-pass that did it- do not have one) Pleased

Quote: AJGO @ June 7 2012, 10:54 PM BST

How is it? Am reading American Gods at the moment.

My cabbie just dropped off 'Ataturk-The Rebirth of a Nation' by Patrick Kinross, so am clearly destined to be reading lengthy tomes for the foreseeable future

Enjoying it? I thought it was bloody fantastic. I can lend all of his novels.

Anansi Boys is probably the best other novel.

But American Gods is just superb. It's an Americana epic, I think probably the ebst follow up would be Garth Ennis's Jagged little veins.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2012, 6:08 PM BST

Working my way through Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman'.

I admire your good taste and simulataneously deeply envy you.

I'll never have the experience of working my way through that epic again.

I remember the final chapters being both fantastic as it all made sense and depressing as it was ending.

Where are you upto?

(name drop time I met Neil Gaiman at a talk he was giving and he is an unbelievably nice guy).

Quote: sootyj @ June 8 2012, 6:24 AM BST

Enjoying it? I thought it was bloody fantastic. I can lend all of his novels.

Anansi Boys is probably the best other novel.

But American Gods is just superb. It's an Americana epic, I think probably the ebst follow up would be Garth Ennis's Jagged little veins.

Definitely enjoying it, read it years and years ago so have happily forgotten most of it. Loved Anansi Boys, will re-read that soon.
Never read Sandman though

Can't find info on G.E/Jagged...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43717.Crooked_Little_Vein

Brain definitely not in operant working condition today!

But I'd reccomend Sandman, if only because it's the best comic book perineally in the local library.

I'd also suggest don't start with book one. Maybe better to try A Doll's House or A Game of You.

Reading the second Hunger Games finally.

I just finished reading the final book in the Tripods Trilogy - The Pool of Fire. Not sure what to read next.

Finally!

There are of course the prequels.

What did you make of the ending?

Of course John Christopher was a master of the dystopia so you could always try the excelent

"The Death of Grass"

Yes, I liked the ending. There was still hope with the three of them deciding to take on mankind's new troubles. I was thinking about The Death of Grass. Will look into that, but I just know I'll always be hoping that Beanpole will make an appearance.