British Comedy Guide

The Diamond Jubilee Page 5

Quote: Kenneth @ June 6 2012, 7:07 AM BST

My visits to London were never motivated by any desire to see the Queen or anything to do with the monarchy. My chief motivation was to visit Oscar Wilde's grave.

Did you kiss it Kenneth :P

Quote: youngian @ June 6 2012, 8:55 AM BST

And the best coverage comes from overseas-

http://gawker.com/5915733/jon-stewart-was-highly-amused-by-cnns-coverage-of-the-queens-diamond-jubilee

Most excellent!

Quote: Will Cam @ June 6 2012, 9:25 AM BST

Did you kiss it Kenneth :P

No, it turned out that Oscar Wilde's grave is not in London but in Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris, so I went there instead. There was a good bit from The Ballad of Reading Gaol engraved upon the tombstone monument, but there were a couple of queers having it off on the other side, which I found pretty repulsive. You'd expect that sort of behaviour in Holland Park in Kensington, not in jolly Paris.

Totally partied my balls off throughout the celebrations and am now paying the price. Another 'lost weekend' for RC and so pleased to be free of rain and crowds for a few hours.

Have been invited out to the pub tonight to see some friends who moved 'oop north' and are in London briefly. Might stick to the Diet Cokes though.

What impressed me most was how good natured everything was, everyone seemed to be having a genuinely fun time.

Thank God all that shit is done with.

How's everyone coping with been back at work? If you were lucky enough to actually get the long weekend.

I'm not back until next Monday! :D Off to Cardiff for a couple of days today.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 6 2012, 1:10 PM BST

Thank God all that shit is done with.

Yes, we'll have to wait for your posts on the next series of Doctor Who before we see that much blind devotion and mindless loyalty again. Unimpressed

Laughing out loud

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 6 2012, 1:19 PM BST

I'm not back until next Monday! :D Off to Cardiff for a couple of days today.

Jealous. Both of you been on holiday and going to Cardiff.

Still hard to believe they broadcast three hours of crappy boats moving slowly up a river, and that ten million people tuned in. Who knew that would be such a ratings winner? They should put it on every Saturday against X Factor.

Quote: Will Cam @ June 5 2012, 10:58 PM BST

Why do you think the vast majority of foreign visitors come to London?

It's not to see the Queen, that's for sure. That's an urban myth, perpetrated by PR hype.

Any cost will be hugely offset by the millions spent in the capital over the event.

This one gets my vote for "Fact-made-up-on-the-spot of the Week!"

So now you're an accountant? Can we see the audit?

If you are that ashamed to be british ,there are plenty of other countries within a £50 flight you could try.

Trouble is, I need £15,000 to relocate.. and I don't have it. You couldn't chuck it my way, could you?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 6 2012, 1:32 PM BST

Still hard to believe they broadcast three hours of crappy boats moving slowly up a river, and that ten million people tuned in. Who knew that would be such a ratings winner? They should put it on every Saturday against X Factor.

why not combine the two? We could have people judging the boats perfomances. Or make to make it really exciting lets have a boat with dancing celebrities, one with people cooking, another with singers, one with people on a house boat. The judges could be placed on the river bank.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 6 2012, 1:39 PM BST

Trouble is, I need £15,000 to relocate.. and I don't have it. You couldn't chuck it my way, could you?

Might be worth having a whip round Will !

I think all this moaning and sniping about Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee is an absolute disgrace. What's wrong with people today that they are unable to appreciate the significance of the occasion of an extra day's bank holiday?

Now if she hurries up and croaks from the strain of all that smiling we might get another one for Charlie's coronation.

Quote: rwayne @ June 5 2012, 11:05 PM BST

What's more British than 'cocking snooks at plebs'? Read through these forums and see how many times you see the word 'chav'. Sneering at people who are less well off or perceived as not as well educated is all the rage. Same thing, lower scale.

Yes, God don't you hate these people who sneer and make snide remarks all the time?