British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

I read the news today oh boy! Page 838

Re this racist chanting in football crowds thing. Why don't they just call the match off immediately when there is racist chanting. Then the c**ts have all wasted their time, and their money, and the rest of the crowd despise them for ruining it. So surely it would eventually die out?

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2012, 6:23 PM BST

Re this racist chanting in football crowds thing. Why don't they just call the match off immediately when there is racist chanting.

Because if your team was losing, you could chant your team to a draw.

How's that?

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2012, 6:30 PM BST

How's that?

I think that's cricket.

Hehe.

Presumably there's some rule that if you call off a match it becomes a draw?

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2012, 6:45 PM BST

Presumably there's some rule that if you call off a match it becomes a draw?

Yep. Plus cancelling matches based on the actions of a small minority of ignorant fans sends out the wrong message. In England, it's been the clubs who've made the effort to stamp out racism and thanks to banning and peer pressure from other fans, it has severely limited the opportunities for this kind of behaviour.

Look how much stick the Liverpool fans got from the press and other supporters over their manager's support for their racist minority.

Well if whatever they do now here is actually working, fine. But it's other countries I was actually talking about. They don't seem to do f**k all about it.

Quote: rwayne @ May 30 2012, 6:44 PM BST

I think that's cricket.

:D

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2012, 6:53 PM BST

Well if whatever they do now here is actually working, fine. But it's other countries I was actually talking about. They don't seem to do f**k all about it.

I saw an advert in Russian that was a basic public information ad telling people racism is bad. It's great that steps are being taken of course, but I was really shocked that there are still places you could have an advert with a successful twist of racism being wrong

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2012, 6:53 PM BST

It's a bit of conundrum, but I think the view is that by opening these other countries up to different cultures and ways of thinking, that international pressure will change their attitudes.

I'm sure the leaders of Poland and Ukraine don't want the rest of the world thinking they are blindly racist countries and so Euro 2012 might be the kick up the bum these places need to stamp out racism.

Personally, I'm secretly hoping that it will be a racist disaster, so FIFA will have to move Euro 2016 from Russia to England.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ May 30 2012, 7:17 PM BST

I disagree.. it'll just make such attitudes more covert.. like here.

I don't think you'll ever totally get rid of racism in Britain - especially with all the bloody foreigns coming here - but it's best that it is covert rather then an acceptable part of mainstream society.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 30 2012, 7:33 PM BST

I don't think you'll ever totally get rid of racism in Britain - especially with all the bloody foreigns coming here - but it's best that it is covert rather then an acceptable part of mainstream society.

Could I ask you to elaborate on the "bloody foreigns" part, please?

Quote: Booo @ May 30 2012, 7:44 PM BST

Could I ask you to elaborate on the "bloody foreigns" part, please?

bloody = acceptable expletive, foreigns = immigrants. I hope that has cleared it up for you Booo.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 30 2012, 7:51 PM BST

bloody = acceptable expletive, foreigns = immigrants. I hope that has cleared it up for you Booo.

I'm afraid it hasn't and as such I shall have to generalise, which is a shame as I quite liked your posts and I'm not one to judge a book by its cover, as they say in this country.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ May 30 2012, 7:37 PM BST

In my experience, outside parts of Hoxton, it IS an acceptable part of mainstream society.

Then you must have met some dodgy people in your time, rather than all the nice ones.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 30 2012, 7:58 PM BST

Then you must have met some dodgy people in your time, rather than all the nice ones.

I don't live in a greenhouse, if that's what you mean.