British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 836

You know as well as I do that in your organisation that are shit employees. Work shy people who smile in glee when they come back 10 minutes late from lunch, those that book dentist appointments on work time, those that use the companies resources for personal use.

Now imagine that your house is used as secuity on a loan to bankroll that business. That if that business fails you will lose your home and go bankrupt. You won't be able to us your child a birthday present that year.

Because I have and it is.

Though usually for larger companies with more potential to actually be made to pay.

So the myth comes from me. I also created the myth of big foot, the Lochness Monster and Yogi Bear.

I am nothing if not prolific

Though if an employer doesn't find out what an employee is like in their first year (probably soon to be two years) who's fault is that?

Quote: rwayne @ May 29 2012, 10:12 PM BST

Where on earth does the myth come from that it's so difficult to sack someone?... and why on earth do people believe it?

I have never sacked anyone in my life. And I for one don't think I would enjoy it.

Quote: bigfella @ May 29 2012, 10:12 PM BST

You know as well as I do that in your organisation that are shit employees. Work shy people who smile in glee when they come back 10 minutes late from lunch,

Egadthat's strong stuff!

Quote: Marc P @ May 29 2012, 10:18 PM BST

I have never sacked anyone in my life. And I for one don't think I would enjoy it.

Yes but you ran your valet over, shot the Butler and ate the Chamber Maid.

How you keep getting domestic staff I do not know!

Quote: rwayne @ May 29 2012, 10:17 PM BST

Though if an employer doesn't find out what an employee is like in their first year (probably soon to be two years) who's fault is that?

People have rights from minute one of their first day.

No it is not nice.

So someone tell me... what part of employment law makes it so difficult to sack someone... fairly?

Quote: rwayne @ May 29 2012, 10:17 PM BST

Its 6 months induction period and even then dismissing in notice is no joke.

And let me be clear I'm not talking about coming back late from lunch.

Quote: bigfella @ May 29 2012, 10:20 PM BST

People have rights from minute one of their first day.

No it is not nice.

They only have certain rights... not all.

Quote: sootyj @ May 29 2012, 10:19 PM BST

Egadthat's strong stuff!

Yes, but if your business is struggling. That you as a business are thinking how the f**k do I pay the wage bill at the end of the month, trust me that means a lot.

Quote: rwayne @ May 29 2012, 10:21 PM BST

They only have certain rights... not all.

How many people do you employ?

There's no such thing as 'induction' or 'probationary period' in law.

I think ( once again, if you'll forgive me for saying ) you've misunderstood me.

I am totally for the employment rights act and the protectection it affords ordinary working people.

To suggest it should be chopped down and the minimum wage scrapped is, frankly, beyond me.

Fair play Rwayne. I agree with that. What's your line by the way?

Marc, don't think me rude for not answering that question but I prefer my involvement on this internet thingy to be general rather than specific.

On the point of businesses being hampered though, I can think of very few that are by employment law.

Most small or new businesses fail for many other reasons rather than that one.

Remove the minimum wage and every business that operates on a 'profit is everything' basis will jump on that bandwagon. Shareholders will get bigger dividends and poverty for working people will increase.

I think scrapping the minimum wage is a very bad idea. This country is already exploiting the army of foreigns and making them work long hours for a pittance. Wages have been kept artificially low thanks to the over saturated work force and can't keep up with inflation. To lower the wage any further would be unthinkable.

Of course, I say this being a London person, I'm sure out in the sticks you can still buy a house for thruppance ha'penny and a pint of lager only costs 30p.

Yeh Back Borris's London minimun wage!

That or meaningful tax credits.

Employers won't pay, taxpayers will!