British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 835

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 29 2012, 1:30 PM BST

I think it's about time that the best person for the job is viewed by their gender only and that skills, experience, talent, etc. are secondary and superfluous.

Since less than a third of top jobs are held by women, it might just be that gender is already more important than skills; why else would men get most of the best jobs?
Quotas isn't a usually good answer though, we can all remember how crap "Blair's babes" were.

Quote: zooo @ May 29 2012, 2:03 PM BST

(Can't seem to form proper sentences today.)

And that's why there's so few women judges.

Quote: zooo @ May 29 2012, 2:03 PM BST

In an ideal world quotas definitely wouldn't exist. But there are some people who wouldn't employ a woman even if she WAS the best for the job, those are the people who are making these silly quotas happen.
So it's not always the PC brigade etc who are at fault (although it is sometimes/often, obviously). Make sure you are blaming the right people for the existence of quota filling.

I guess to a degree - I wouldn't employ a 25-30 year old woman who could pop out a baby at any point.

But considering I'm in that bracket - it doesn't do me any good.

What are people's thoughts on this? http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/parents-held-over-over-murder-of-six-children-in-house-fire-16165328.html

Quote: Nogget @ May 29 2012, 2:56 PM BST

And that's why there's so few women judges.

:D

Quote: keewik @ May 29 2012, 3:30 PM BST

What are people's thoughts on this? http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/parents-held-over-over-murder-of-six-children-in-house-fire-16165328.html

Scary stuff.

Whenever I see a family member doing a police appeal type thing on the news I ALWAYS think it was them that did it. And it ends up to be true pretty often!

Quote: zooo @ May 29 2012, 3:32 PM BST

:D

Scary stuff.

Whenever I see a family member doing a police appeal type thing on the news I ALWAYS think it was them that did it. And it ends up to be true pretty often!

I read somewhere that this is often what the Police suspect.

Eek.
It's all very sinister.
Why on earth would they kill all their kids though. Unless they're just another Fred and Rose West.

Quote: L.E. @ May 29 2012, 1:35 PM BST

I hate this "quota" shite.

The best person (man/woman/gay/straight/whatever race) should be employed for the job.

I have to fill out forms stating how the company I work for are ticking boxes of employing people from different religions/races etc. It's bollocks. The person who is BEST for the job should be employed.

Thing this is the conservative fallacy that any reactionary group be it interview panel, hard judges or what ever are always right.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 29 2012, 1:30 PM BST

Looks like they're going to introduce quotas so that more women are hired as judges, company directors, top civil servants, etc.

I think it's about time that the best person for the job is viewed by their gender only and that skills, experience, talent, etc. are secondary and superfluous.

This is what feminism is all about - too crap to be at the top, don't worry girls, we'll pass laws that ensure that you are given everything for doing very little. Go sisters!

There is far too much regulation in employment law -it simply hampers business.. We have just got rid of our business, the number one reason employment issues, to be fair we didn't need the f**king stress. Th our reason, too much red tape in other areas. We need to help business, not hinder them. Scrap the minimum wage - it makes our businesses uncompetitive - trust me, many people on minimum wage aren't worth the amount. Scrap employeers NI - be honest who actually knew that your employeer pays a 13percent tax to the government on you wage? If we want jobs and people off benefit then scrap this tax.

And back to RC's point, the best person should get the job. No issue.

Of course. But right now they often don't. So how do we fix that?

Scrap the minefield that is employment law. All of the bollocks you simply aren't allowed to ask in interview. We aren't living in Victorian Britain now, boys aren't shoved up chimneys and four year girls aren't sent down mines, most the stuff really isn't needed.

Did you know that employeers pay an extra 13 percent on top of wages in tax zooo?

Quote: bigfella @ May 29 2012, 7:29 PM BST

There is far too much regulation in employment law -it simply hampers business.. We have just got rid of our business, the number one reason employment issues, to be fair we didn't need the f**king stress. Th our reason, too much red tape in other areas. We need to help business, not hinder them. Scrap the minimum wage - it makes our businesses uncompetitive - trust me, many people on minimum wage aren't worth the amount. Scrap employeers NI - be honest who actually knew that your employeer pays a 13percent tax to the government on you wage? If we want jobs and people off benefit then scrap this tax.

And back to RC's point, the best person should get the job. No issue.

I agree 100%.

Quote: bigfella @ May 29 2012, 7:35 PM BST

Scrap the minefield that is employment law. All of the bollocks you simply aren't allowed to ask in interview. We aren't living in Victorian Britain now, boys aren't shoved up chimneys and four year girls aren't sent down mines, most the stuff really isn't needed.

Did you know that employeers pay an extra 13 percent on top of wages in tax zooo?

Thats kind of because there is employment law.

People don't suddenly become nice on a whim.

Quote: sootyj @ May 29 2012, 8:29 PM BST

Thats kind of because there is employment law.

People don't suddenly become nice on a whim.

Yes I agree but it is completely over the top at present.

I will never start another business that involves employing any more than one or two people. It truly is a joke.

And trust me Sooty, the bad guys are still out there exploiting people. It's those that need to targeted, not the little family carpet cleaning firm with two vans, a small office and five employees.

I'm torn, really I am.

I've really hated how in some jobs I've had to stomach, lazy and even abusive people. Because the company I've worked with have just felt they'd rather risk having an abusive employee, then getting sued for wrongful dismissal.

But I know I've been shat on by employers and boy was I glad the law was in my corner.

Where on earth does the myth come from that it's so difficult to sack someone?... and why on earth do people believe it?