British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 4,479

Quote: sootyj @ May 23 2012, 7:18 PM BST

Getting a bit tired of the old dyspraxia. It's such an odd disability. Probably the most noticable bit is the screwy short term memory. Basically I can process short, quick information very swiftly. But anything more complex and I find myself reading and rereading stuff and the information not going in.
It's been my bane at work and has really put me off going for any sort of promotion in years. I just know I'll get caught out.
So of late I've been going for on line writing jobs. And after building my rep on elance by doing lots of "1000 funny captions for $150" and "50 jokes for $100" find myself invited to try out for a much more interesting job writing ap content. I get the email with the task on it.
Read it, reread it. It's not going in. Shit.

Thanks for bearing with me.

This might be really ignorant but can you try breaking things down into smaller parts? I don't have dyspraxia but I have often have trouble learning or remembering new things epecially when written. Even when things seem simple to others I sometimes have trouble.

I find it easier if the instructions are in short paragraphs or bullet points. Even when someone gives me verbal instructions I sometimes need it broken down. So for example if something has six parts, I get them to tell me the first 3 things, do that and then explain the next three.

Again sorry if this is ignorant. I don't know enough about dyspraxia, but I understand the frustration at things not going in.

Quote: sootyj @ May 23 2012, 7:18 PM BST

Getting a bit tired of the old dyspraxia...
Thanks for bearing with me.

Had a think. With your DSA did they suggest any screen reader software? I got it with mine and surprisingly it has been helpful to listen to stuff rather than always read it. If you didn't go back and ask if you could try Claroread.

Quote: DaButt @ May 23 2012, 11:29 PM BST

The property appraisers came out and measured my house a few weeks ago and when the annual appraisal came out I found that they'd increased the size of my house by 350 square feet, adding about $15,000 to the value and another $300 per year in property tax.

Will they ask for back taxes?

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 23 2012, 10:49 PM BST

Angryyyy.

Console People are prats.

Quote: zooo @ May 24 2012, 12:04 AM BST

What an utter freak.
A bloke on the tube once picked me up from behind and moved me out of his way when we were getting on an escalator (I was on the correct side).

People are horrible weirdos.

Whistling nnocently (sorry. I have been known to do this.)

And in other news, Riley has managed to get sacked three days into a job. Well, resigned before they could sack me but still out of work and out of pocket all the same.

Quote: KLRiley @ May 24 2012, 1:14 PM BST

Whistling nnocently (sorry. I have been known to do this.)

Ha, well it was lovely to meet you...

Quote: DaButt @ May 24 2012, 3:03 AM BST

Flying simulated planes at home is not the same thing as flying actual jet fighters. I've never heard a jet pilot call his controls a joystick.

Always spelling things wrong, you British ...

They are just two words for two styles of flight-control columns.

The Joystick being the vertical one handed model that pivots two-ways (fore-aft and left-right) from bearings down between the pilots feet, probably only used in very light aircraft now, but very common in the war planes of WW-II.

The Yoke being the one with a W or M style 'handle' on it which can be held easily with two hands. It usually slides in and out of a sloping tube (roughly the same sort of angle as a car steering column) to control the Nose-Up, Nose-down, attitude of the plane and it rotates like a car steering wheel to control the left & right tilt of the plane.

>Always spelling things wrong, you British ...

Metres is a French word.. and since the 'standard metre' is the basis of all the scientific measurement systems, I think you blokes in the USA, really should spell it right

Cool

Soots, I don't know the extent of your prob or if there are any other factors, e.g. dyslexia, but as advice is being offered I will throw in my two penneth. Something that has worked for us is having someone read it out to you - a bit at a time, giving you time to process and digest. Then read the next bit when you are ready. Alternatively record it and play back, the repetition can sometimes help it to 'go in.' Also, having a dictaphone handy to record any thoughts, ideas or questions that come to mind (as in our case they seem to do randomly) and then you can play back in your own time and fit with whatever it pertains to.

My eyes are sweating.

Quote: reds @ May 24 2012, 12:24 PM BST

This might be really ignorant but can you try breaking things down into smaller parts? I don't have dyspraxia but I have often have trouble learning or remembering new things epecially when written. Even when things seem simple to others I sometimes have trouble.

I find it easier if the instructions are in short paragraphs or bullet points. Even when someone gives me verbal instructions I sometimes need it broken down. So for example if something has six parts, I get them to tell me the first 3 things, do that and then explain the next three.

Again sorry if this is ignorant. I don't know enough about dyspraxia, but I understand the frustration at things not going in.

Thanksthat's pretty much what I do it just takes a while.

Quote: Loopey @ May 24 2012, 1:26 PM BST

Soots, I don't know the extent of your prob or if there are any other factors, e.g. dyslexia, but as advice is being offered I will throw in my two penneth. Something that has worked for us is having someone read it out to you - a bit at a time, giving you time to process and digest. Then read the next bit when you are ready. Alternatively record it and play back, the repetition can sometimes help it to 'go in.' Also, having a dictaphone handy to record any thoughts, ideas or questions that come to mind (as in our case they seem to do randomly) and then you can play back in your own time and fit with whatever it pertains to.

I do read stuff out aloud, thanks for all the advice people!

Quote: KLRiley @ May 24 2012, 1:14 PM BST

Will they ask for back taxes?

I don't think so, as they were responsible for measuring it incorrectly when it was built.

Quote: zooo @ May 24 2012, 1:26 PM BST

My eyes are sweating.

I hear it was 30c in London yesterday, that is a a bit warm. It's a good excuse to have a water ice for lunch, or breakfast.

Quote: reds @ May 24 2012, 1:49 PM BST

I hear it was 30c in London yesterday, that is a a bit warm.

Pah, I'll be spending a 4-day weekend in a tent at a place where we'll be lucky if the nighttime temperatures drop that low. ;)

Quote: DaButt @ May 24 2012, 1:56 PM BST

Pah, I'll be spending a 4-day weekend in a tent at a place where we'll be lucky if the nighttime temperatures drop that low. ;)

Then you are an insane person.

Quote: DaButt @ May 24 2012, 1:56 PM BST

Just Googled and it's not meant to be over 25 in London for the next few days. Not a heat wave then.

Quote: sootyj @ May 24 2012, 1:30 PM BST

Thanksthat's pretty much what I do it just takes a while.

I do read stuff out aloud, thanks for all the advice people!

Do you have someone you can talk it over with? Happy to help if it helps?

Hmm Marc I may take you up on that.

Quote: sootyj @ May 24 2012, 2:16 PM BST

Hmm Marc I may take you up on that.

No worries, PM me with your number if you fancy a chat! :)