British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 822

I think it's because it kinda sounds like you're lumping them in with vases and stuff.

Quote: zooo @ May 19 2012, 11:48 AM BST

I think it's because it kinda sounds like you're lumping them in with vases and stuff.

Well, I am; but I don't mean it in an offensive way.

Lol. Well, I've never heard of anyone in this country being offended by it.

If you called a Chinese person Asian in this country things would get mighty confusing!

Quote: zooo @ May 19 2012, 11:34 AM BST

I've heard that 'oriental' is a bit of an offensive term in the US, is that true?

Yeh it's pretty racist it's got associations with Fu Manchu and all that.

Plus these days Arabs and Chinese people see themselves as being quite diferent.

The problem is once you start using terms to describe someone as an other, however noble your intentions it can be percieved as being racist.

This is of course impractical. I mean you can't have a wanted poster that reads

average person of none specific gender or race

Quote: sootyj @ May 19 2012, 12:07 PM BST

Yeh it's pretty racist

Tough, I will continue to use it!

People only say oriental when they're not sure what country someone's from and don't want to piss them off by getting it wrong.

Like saying antipodean if you're not sure whether someone is from NZ or Australia. Yes you can sometimes just ask them, but sometimes you can't so it's making the best of a bad situation!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 19 2012, 12:11 PM BST

Tough, I will continue to use it!

Apologies should have said it can be perceived as being racist.

It's interesting as there is literally no right answer.

Quote: zooo @ May 19 2012, 12:12 PM BST

Like saying antipodean if you're not sure whether someone is from NZ or Australia. Yes you can sometimes just ask them, but sometimes you can't so it's making the best of a bad situation!

I remember the first time I heard that term on an English TV show, it took me a few minutes to figure out that they meant an Australian or New Zealander.

Quote: zooo @ May 19 2012, 11:50 AM BST

If you called a Chinese person Asian in this country things would get mighty confusing!

*channels Marc P*

'Would you do that occidentally?'

Quote: sootyj @ May 19 2012, 12:07 PM BST

Yeh it's pretty racist

Wikipedia has an interesting rundown of the usage of the term "Oriental" around the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient#Current_usage

My dad uses the term "chinky" still. He's pretty classy.

At least he doesn't say chintzy, cos then he'd be gay.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ May 19 2012, 4:33 PM BST

My dad uses the term "chinky" still. He's pretty classy.

Some otherwise normal people I know use the word Chinky to mean the Chinese food shop, (like the word Chippy for chip shop) but wouldn't use it to describe a person.
It's all very weird!

My dad started using that after seeing Blazing Saddles, with the now infamous line, "Dock that chink a days pay."

We don't let him out much.