British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 938

Quote: L.E. @ May 3 2012, 5:04 PM BST

I'm tempted to recreate this picture and you guys can guess what size I am.

Like a sexy guess the weight of the cake?

Quote: Tursiops @ May 3 2012, 8:01 PM BST

Like a sexy guess the weight of the tart?

:O

Quote: AJGO @ May 3 2012, 3:46 PM BST

Quite. And is she really size 22? She doesn't look that big to me

I think it's a US size 22.

Quote: Ben @ May 3 2012, 8:07 PM BST

According to the women's dress size conversion chart - which I visit daily - that makes it a UK size 24.

Oh yeah, their dress sizes are smaller aren't they...

Quote: zooo @ May 3 2012, 9:16 AM BST

Emma Kennedy?
I thought she was good.

No. It was Zoe Williams.

Ah sorry, I was thinking of the wrong night then!

I should really go to sleep.

Quote: Ben @ May 3 2012, 8:07 PM BST

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 3 2012, 8:09 PM BST

According to the women's dress size conversion chart - which I visit daily - that makes it a UK size 24.

Hmmmm. I'm not convinced that someone hasn't altered the pic/what it said on that sign then. She is definitely nowhere near that large

Maybe she just changed it to work with the 'size 2' bit.

It is the only two numbers that that play on words will work with. Can't have 4 and 44, or 1 and 11.

I don't think the photo has been altered, if it had she'd be better looking.

I read the sign as 'if you're big then you're 'glorious', if you're small then you're 'beautiful'. Which I think is a more accurate measure of attractiveness.

If you're beautiful you're either pretty or a fat bird with a heart of gold.

Quote: AJGO @ May 3 2012, 11:13 PM BST

Hmmmm. I'm not convinced that someone hasn't altered the pic/what it said on that sign then. She is definitely nowhere near that large

This young lady is wearing a size 22 dress and appears to be of similar, er, magnitude.

Quote: AngieBaby @ May 3 2012, 11:24 PM BST

If you're beautiful you're either pretty or a fat bird with a heart of gold.

So Skinny birds are all bitches, eh?

Quote: AJGO @ May 3 2012, 11:13 PM BST

Depends on her height and bone structure. If you're 5' 1" and size 24 it will be far more exaggerated then if you are 5' 11".

And for all of those angry at me for bringing up this subject and not declaring this overweight woman to be the height of beauty - please do try and remember that I didn't invent the current notion of beauty - it was forced upon me by a bombardment of advertising campaigns, Hollywood films and pop videos.

Luckily, I try not to support this blatant exploitation of women by buying into the whole fashion and beauty industry - unlike other people. Unimpressed

Quote: Tursiops @ May 3 2012, 11:34 PM BST

This young lady is wearing a size 22 dress and appears to be of similar, er, magnitude.

How do you know that?! She's pretty too, reminds me of Maggie Gyllenhaal. Maybe size 22 is the way to go.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 3 2012, 11:37 PM BST

Depends on her height and bone structure. If you're 5' 1" and size 24 it will be far more exaggerated then if you are 5' 11".

And for all of those angry at me for bringing up this subject and not declaring this overweight woman to be the height of beauty - please do try and remember that I didn't invent the current notion of beauty - it was forced upon me by a bombardment of advertising campaigns, Hollywood films and pop videos.

Luckily, I try not to support this blatant exploitation of women by buying into the whole fashion and beauty industry - unlike other people. Unimpressed

Height is a very key factor, you're right- and presumably you've agreed with me every time I've ranted that whenever anyone's weight or dress size is featured in the media they should also include that person's height so that average height women or above aren't given the impression (along with men) that they could reasonably be the same size as someone much shorter.

I'm not angry at you, it's always interesting and sometimes useful to discuss what is presented as a 'given' when that's very much not the experience of anyone in real life, but I am a little concerned that someone of your social capability and reasonable intellect seems to be unable to separate what they've been told to think and feel from any personalised affectionate or even neutral view of other human beings.

I won't assume that the last part of that post has anything to do with me...

Regarding the woman in the pic.
I can't tell if she's beautiful or not.
photos can be quite misleading.
I'd have to see her in person & make my own judgement.

Having said that, I agree with RC in a way.
There should be new verbs to supercede Beautiful or Handsome.
So we can differentiate between
The likes of Handsome Brad Pitt & Handsome Benedict Cumberbatch