British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 799

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ April 30 2012, 11:23 PM BST

Drug cheats? They're just the ones who've been caught.

I've also been underwhelmed by some of the sanctimonous guff from Dwayne Chambers' fellow athletes wanting irreversible life bans because the British don't do cheating.

So I understand that maybe the Olympics allows regeneration of an area and that perhaps it's prestigious and certainly a lot of the wrong sort of people make lots of cash from it, but what's the point of the actual events? Why have people running around in circles? It's as if we're celebrating the futility of existence by putting inconsequential activities on the world stage.

Quote: Nogget @ May 1 2012, 1:16 PM BST

So I understand that maybe the Olympics allows regeneration of an area and that perhaps it's prestigious and certainly a lot of the wrong sort of people make lots of cash from it, but what's the point of the actual events? Why have people running around in circles? It's as if we're celebrating the futility of existence by putting inconsequential activities on the world stage.

To give them something nice and shiny if they are one of the first three people to finish running around in circles?

Then they might feel like all that eating healthy and practising lots and lots is worth it.

Not sure of the point of it for the rest of the population though.

Quote: Nogget @ May 1 2012, 1:16 PM BST

Are you asking in general, what's the point of sport?

Quote: reds @ May 1 2012, 1:29 PM BST

To give them something nice and shiny if they are one of the first three people to finish running around in circles?

Can we not have an Australian ridicule our Olympic Games, particularly as they hosted it themselves not too long ago and were so jingoistically proud of it, you'd think they'd invented the bloody thing.

As for having a global celebration of sport, a place where wealth, military power or political doctrine comes second place to athletic prowess, hard work and dedication, well I'll leave others to decide if it's a worthy event or not.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/05/01/15305/hows_this_for_a_punch_line%3F?rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Made me laugh twice.

I rather like that comeback! Sounds like that audience was chock full of twats.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 1 2012, 1:44 PM BST

Can we not have an Australian ridicule our Olympic Games, particularly as they hosted it themselves not too long ago and were so jingoistically proud of it, you'd think they'd invented the bloody thing.

Not ridiculing. They do give out nice shiny things to the first three people to cross the line/jump highest/longest etc.

Quote: reds @ May 1 2012, 1:55 PM BST

Not ridiculing. They do give out nice shiny things to the first three people to cross the line/jump highest/longest etc.

Ha! Take that you African runners. You might think your representing your poverty stricken country, giving hope to your people for a brighter tomorrow and showcasing your culture in a positive way on a national stage - when in fact, we all know you're going to melt down the medals to buy drugs so you can win more medals to melt down.

Unimpressed

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 1 2012, 1:44 PM BST

As for having a global celebration of sport, a place where wealth, military power or political doctrine comes second place to athletic prowess, hard work and dedication,

I see, it's about about athletic prowess. What use is that prowess?

Quote: Nogget @ May 1 2012, 4:57 PM BST

I see, it's about about athletic prowess. What use is that prowess?

What's the use of being able to run fast, jump high and throw things far? Considering it's those skills that put us top of the food chain, I'd say they're well worth celebrating.

But, I think you win this one, I will just let the para-Olympians know that the games have been cancelled because Nogget can't intellectually wrap his head around the world's best athletes competing against each other in a totally fair and neutral environment.

;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 1 2012, 6:25 PM BST

But, I think you win this one.

Nobody wins RC unless against oneself, and that is a losing battle if that is how you perceive these things.

Quote: Marc P @ May 1 2012, 6:58 PM BST

Nobody wins RC unless against oneself, and that is a losing battle if that is how you perceive these things.

Who? Where? Ba-what? The one in the middle?

Either you are being deliberately obtuse or I'm thick...er, you obtuse c**t.

;) :P

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 1 2012, 6:25 PM BST

What's the use of being able to run fast, jump high and throw things far? Considering it's those skills that put us top of the food chain, I'd say they're well worth celebrating.

So it's all to do with history?
I suppose it's almost as interesting as David Starkey.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 1 2012, 8:00 PM BST

Who? Where? Ba-what? The one in the middle?

Either you are being deliberately obtuse or I'm thick...er, you obtuse c**t.

;) :P

I'm not sure obtuse means what you think it means in this context! :)