British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 934

Quote: zooo @ May 1 2012, 2:24 PM BST

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that!

Too busy perving I shouldn't wonder!

You know me so well... ;)

Quote: Marc P @ May 1 2012, 2:23 PM BST

I think she should learn to spell if she is going to make signs and sit naked behind them!

*imagines Marc P walking past a dying tramp with a sign reading 'pleas help, homeles and hunngry' and tutting to himself*

;)

Thats rubbish I would of course whip out my pen and add the e and remove the n at no charge!

Quote: Marc P @ May 1 2012, 2:28 PM BST

Thats rubbish I would of course whip out my pen and add the e and remove the n at no charge!

:D

Presumably before dousing them in champagne and giving them the much needed kicking they deserve.

Whistling nnocently

Quote: zooo @ May 1 2012, 2:20 PM BST

I wouldn't say the girl in that pic was curvy. Just fat.

I agree. There is a difference between been a little curvy and fat. There comes a point where been above a certain size is going to be unhealthy for you just as been very underweight will result in health problems. The weight amount will be slightly different for everyone, what's healthy for you will depend on things like your height.

Of course been in the middle doesn't mean you are necesariy healthy either. It all get complicated.

One thing that does annoy me is that is seems that is still ok to criticise people on the small side but not overweight people.

Quote: reds @ May 1 2012, 2:47 PM BST

One thing that does annoy me is that is seems that is still ok to criticise people on the small side but not overweight people.

Yeah, that doesn't seem fair.

She's fat, not curvy.
And not what I would describe as beautiful but she's pretty.

But this is part of how we are expected to see the world. We aren't allowed to tell people that they are fat. (I'm speaking as lard bucket). Soon after Riley Major started school we parents were invited in for a chat with the teacher. In answer to our enquiry about the issue we were informed that he had called another child fat. Was he name calling we asked? No, it was used descriptively. Is the child fat we asked? The teacher dithered a bit and then waved in the general direction of the rolypoly. "Well maybe a little overweight" she confessed. This kid would have given the Michelin Man a run for his money. Right we said so he wasn't name calling, he wasn't picking on the child and it was a simple statement of fact. "Yes" she agreed. So, what is the problem? "We don't like to call other pupils fat." But he is. Are you saying Riley is being punished because he told the truth? "Yes, but...Oh I see your point. I'd better have a word with the head about this."

Quote: KLRiley @ May 1 2012, 3:06 PM BST

She's fat, not curvy.
And not what I would describe as beautiful but she's pretty.

But this is part of how we are expected to see the world. We aren't allowed to tell people that they are fat. (I'm speaking as lard bucket). Soon after Riley Major started school we parents were invited in for a chat with the teacher. In answer to our enquiry about the issue we were informed that he had called another child fat. Was he name calling we asked? No, it was used descriptively. Is the child fat we asked? The teacher dithered a bit and then waved in the general direction of the rolypoly. "Well maybe a little overweight" she confessed. This kid would have given the Michelin Man a run for his money. Right we said so he wasn't name calling, he wasn't picking on the child and it was a simple statement of fact. "Yes" she agreed. So, what is the problem? "We don't like to call other pupils fat." But he is. Are you saying Riley is being punished because he told the truth? "Yes, but...Oh I see your point. I'd better have a word with the head about this."

And did you hear any more. Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: reds @ May 1 2012, 2:47 PM BST

Indeed - I have never had that pleasure though unfortunately.

The residents in Bow are seeking legal advice to ban the anti-aircraft missiles from their roofs / rooves. If only we had more panicky childish liberals like them during The Blitz.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 1 2012, 2:04 PM BST

If they'd put up a picture of Nudey McBloaty and asked people if they thought she was 'nice', then I wouldn't have a problem, but they deliberately chose the word 'beauty' because of it's descriptively powerful connotations.

What's the point of telling someone who is not typically beautiful, that they are beautiful, if the word beautiful no longer has any meaning? What kind of mixed up ego arrogantly demands that people find you attractive even if the converse is true? If you are so against the media perception of beauty, why are you asking others to judge you and conclude that you are beautiful?

You are aware that you personally do this? That when someone posts in the WDYFancy thread you are aghast that people find different things attractive about females than you do?
Of course you shouldn't be obliged to pretend you fancy someone if you don't but I presume the facebook pic was supposed to challenge the fact that people are somewhat manipulated by media into their perception of what is 'acceptable' in a woman? (And indeed in a man/relationship/shag)
Is it really so offensive, or difficult to appreciate but pass, that people are attempting to challenge notions of beauty? I think the most pervasive issue on this topic is that from mass media men are told that there is a very limited range of acceptable attractiveness and women likewise but in relation to themselves. I have been told over the last few days that I am looking good by two men and that I'm not fanciable by three men, which clearly shows from this thoroughly scientific retrospective poll that people do not have the same tastes when it comes down to the individual (and yes, I do have very rude friends!)

Quote: AJGO @ May 1 2012, 11:57 PM BST

and that I'm not fanciable by three men

How did this even come up??!

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2012, 12:04 AM BST

You really could've quoted the bit where I was looking good to two men too :D
Just seeing friends and having lost weight, and as we know the female body is an entirely acceptable subject for objective conversation. I don't mind too much, they were being concerned about a mate, but I did ask would they express equal concerns if I'd put on the same amount of weight and they admitted that they wouldn't dare as even saying you look too thin is kind of a compliment. Which is surely a reflection of a very f**ked up society

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2012, 12:04 AM BST

Said the fat girl to the hunky man . . .