British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 933

Quote: Nogget @ April 29 2012, 4:32 PM BST

if that's the case, then personally I'd rather go without our international egg and spoon race and thus avoid becoming a giant target.

Quote: zooo @ April 29 2012, 4:33 PM BST

Me too.
Too late for that though. :(

Bet the foods not been ordered yet. The medals and other sparkly bits for the opening cereomony could keep for a bit. They've still got 100 odd days to find a storage space to put it all.

Quote: zooo @ April 29 2012, 5:40 PM BST

Telling all the residents they're installing the missile wotsit. Just do it.

It's rather difficult to hide a modern air defence system and the people who man it.

Quote: DaButt @ April 30 2012, 12:39 PM BST

It's rather difficult to hide a modern air defence system and the people who man it.

Sure you can, just put them on a mosque and disguise the missiles as minarets. What's more, no-one would recognise the people as troops, because they'd all be in burkas.

Quote: DaButt @ April 30 2012, 12:39 PM BST

Fortunately we don't have any modern airdefences.

Most likely it's 2 squaddies with a case of Fosters and orders to swear, make obscene gestures or moon at suspicious looking aircraft.

From the pictures it's pretty small, and they are planning to pop it on top of some water tower. I'm not sure it will be that noticeable.

Might be though, am quite looking forward to seeing it, either way.

I am incredibly prejudice towards DJs. I think they are all scum and should go back to where they come from (and switch the mike off).

I also hate golden showers. They piss me off.

Britain's Got Talent is beating The Voice in the ratings - so well done BBC, thanks for wasting a gajillion squids on another load of overpriced karaoke bollox that everyone will instantly forget about in six months time.

Thank you for not spending that cash on new dramas, comedies and documentaries and thanks a bunch for making Saturday nights even more unbearable for anyone with a cock and balls.

I agree - it was only slightly different because of the swinging chairs but now it's another "sing off" karaoke show. I've turned off!

Facebook strikes again! This time, I was asked to 'Like' a picture of an overweight, half naked woman and agree that she was 'beautiful', as some sort of protest to the perceived notion of female attractiveness.

Now here is the real philosophical problem I have with these campaigns - your either in the 'no way, that is gross' camp or the 'everyone is beautiful' camp. But by deliberately subverting the notion of beauty to being an all inclusive label, don't you massively devalue it as an adjective?

If they'd put up a picture of Nudey McBloaty and asked people if they thought she was 'nice', then I wouldn't have a problem, but they deliberately chose the word 'beauty' because of it's descriptively powerful connotations.

What's the point of telling someone who is not typically beautiful, that they are beautiful, if the word beautiful no longer has any meaning? What kind of mixed up ego arrogantly demands that people find you attractive even if the converse is true? If you are so against the media perception of beauty, why are you asking others to judge you and conclude that you are beautiful?

You could of course just have not 'liked' the picture...

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 1 2012, 2:04 PM BST

Facebook strikes again! This time, I was asked to 'Like' a picture of an overweight, half naked woman and agree that she was 'beautiful', as some sort of protest to the perceived notion of female attractiveness.

Now here is the real philosophical problem I have with these campaigns - your either in the 'no way, that is gross' camp or the 'everyone is beautiful' camp. But by deliberately subverting the notion of beauty to being an all inclusive label, don't you massively devalue it as an adjective?

If they'd put up a picture of Nudey McBloaty and asked people if they thought she was 'nice', then I wouldn't have a problem, but they deliberately chose the word 'beauty' because of it's descriptively powerful connotations.

What's the point of telling someone who is not typically beautiful, that they are beautiful, if the word beautiful no longer has any meaning? What kind of mixed up eog arrogantly demands that people find you attractive even if the converse is true? If you are so against the media perception of beauty, why are you asking others to judge you and conclude that you are beautiful?

I also saw this picture. I am a curvy woman myself... however, I don't find curvy women attractive (which is why I am in shock men seem to like me at all). Beauty is however, something that comes from not the person with the "beauty" but the person who sees it in someone else. My boyfriend thinks I'm beautiful but wouldn't find someone who is the same size as me necessarily beautiful because he doesn't love them (I hope). I don't find fat men beautiful, but I find sun sets beautiful. It's as stupid gimic to get a lot of likes and to be honest the amount of "feel good" shite that people put on facebook does my head in...

BAD MOOD TODAY.

Quote: zooo @ May 1 2012, 2:12 PM BST

You could of course just have not 'liked' the picture...

Which I did not.

This is the picture if anyone wants to know. Pretty girl - but not what I would use the word beauty for... I don't know her.

I wouldn't say the girl in that pic was curvy. Just fat.

But everyone seems to have different opinions of what all these words mean, and whether or not they are offensive (I don't think 'fat' in itself is an insulting word), so I suppose it's a bit pointless. :)

There's nothing wrong with the pic itself of course, she's making a fairly amusing joke on the sign. Someone else (presumably?) added the whole 'like if you think she's beautiful' thing.

I think she should learn to spell if she is going to make signs and sit naked behind them!

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that!

Quote: L.E. @ May 1 2012, 2:19 PM BST

I also saw this picture. I am a curvy woman myself... however, I don't find curvy women attractive (which is why I am in shock men seem to like me at all).

My point isn't about whether curvy women are beautiful or not, it was more to do with the poster demanding that I find that particular person 'beautiful' as some sort of protest against the perceived notion of beauty and the minefield of hypocrisy, irony and double standards that come with such a decision.

As we all saw with the Daily Mail woman - you cannot force people to find you attractive.