British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 152

Ah, for your beach holiday snaps.

Just put a new one up :) Benny Hill music! :)

I started The Hunger Games at work yesterday during my lunch-break. BIG mistake because I still have work to do for uni!

Oh noes!
I'm saving the third one for a bit, partly because I have things to do, but also because I don't want it to be over. :(

The chapters are so short, I just keep thinking "Oh, I'll read one and then work."

Ha, yes. And of course she puts a cliffhanger at the end of practically every chapter. Curse you, Suzanne Collins.

Quote: keewik @ April 23 2012, 8:15 PM BST

Still reading 'The Slap'. Wonder if Red can tell me whether it's typical of Australian life - they seem to do a Helluva lot of drinking and driving, taking drugs, and adulterising - we're talking 40's people, not teenagers. Also a lot of new words. What's e.g. a 'bogan'?

I know not of this Slap, but I can tell you that some Australians drive while under the influence of alcohol because it is a large country and non-city dwellers cannot simply take a bus, train or taxi home after boozing. Illegal drugs - I would guess weed remains the most common, followed by whatever chemical crap (methamphetamines) younger people are taking. Coke is quite popular among affluent people. As for 'adulterising', yes, incredibly, Australians do not cease having sex and extra-marital affairs in their 30s. And 'bogan' is what you would call a 'chav'. The term only came into popular currency in the 1980s and is really only used by common people to refer to even more common people. People of class, such as myself, simply refer to our inferiors as 'ordinary'.

And I have just read Escape From Camp 14, a slim volume about one of North Korea's slave labour camps for political prisoners. Fascinating insight into the evil mess that is North Korea.

Farm Boy by Michael Morpurgo lovely tale of farming life, with illustrations by Michael Foreman, the sequel to War Horse.

As Kenneth said a Bogan is similar to a Chav in England. Typical Bogans wear tracksuit pants with Ugg Boots. Except that they wouldn't genuine Ugg Boots. For men flannel shirts and maybe short shorts and thongs.
Think Kim from Kath and Kim.

Quote: zooo @ April 29 2012, 2:15 PM BST

Ha, yes. And of course she puts a cliffhanger at the end of practically every chapter. Curse you, Suzanne Collins.

I am about 1/3 through the last book now. Bit disappointed. :(

Oh dear. I have heard that they decrease in quality as they go along, but I quite enjoyed 2 so I've been hoping 3 will be good too.

2 was maybe my favourite, actually. 3 is just taking a while to get going. It's a bit more political and you have no clue at all who to trust. Or I don't, yet.

Hmmm. Well I have 4 other books to read first, but I shall get to it eventually!

Four!? Which four?

Not 4 secret ones by her, don't worry!
Just books written by people I'm going to see at a festival, so want to have read before I go. I have to read one a week to do it in time. Eep.