British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 923

Can you still buy the energy guzzling bulbs? Weren't they supposed to be getting banned? I understand that this highlights (LOL!) the fact that I do very little round the house.

Quote: Ben @ April 19 2012, 12:26 PM BST

Can you still buy the energy guzzling bulbs?

The thing is, they didn't really guzzle energy most of the time, if you live in a thermostatically heated environment. Any excess energy from the bulbs just gets turned into heat, and so your heating system would just work a bit less hard; the overall effect being, no energy wasted.

FACEBOOK

Some bright spark has decided I now want want emails every time someone updates a photo or their status. The status updates appear in the subject line.

IF I want to know what people are doing I will log into my account.

God, I hate Facebook.

Quote: zooo @ April 19 2012, 1:36 PM BST

God, I hate Facebook.

Thought I was the only one. Had someone say to me the other day that they couldn't find me on there. They seemed somewhat surprised when I said I had an account but didn't use it.

Often meet with strange looks when I tell people I don't use it.

Quote: Nogget @ April 19 2012, 12:07 PM BST

A few years ago there were advances in LEDs which meant they could produce energy-saving lightbulbs which came on fully the instant you switched them on. So why aren't they on the market?

They're there and they're expensive. Our government recently held a contest that stipulated that an LED bulb that produced natural-looking light would have to be available this year for no more than $22. The winner just hit the market at $60.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57416128/introducing-the-$60-20-year-light-bulb/

Quote: Nogget @ April 19 2012, 12:33 PM BST

The thing is, they didn't really guzzle energy most of the time, if you live in a thermostatically heated environment. Any excess energy from the bulbs just gets turned into heat, and so your heating system would just work a bit less hard; the overall effect being, no energy wasted.

That maybe be true in your country but in the United States the majority of homes require air conditioning all summer (mine runs constantly from March through October at the very least) so all that wasted energy requires even more energy to overcome it.

Quote: reds @ April 19 2012, 1:46 PM BST

Thought I was the only one. Had someone say to me the other day that they couldn't find me on there. They seemed somewhat surprised when I said I had an account but didn't use it.

Often meet with strange looks when I tell people I don't use it.

I just don't find it enjoyable at all.
I do love Twitter though. Much more cheerful/useable/non-suicide-enducing than FB.

One of my best friends has moved to Spain and is trying to make me get a facebook account. I have resisted for so many years.
I really, really don't want to. If it was anyone else I'd just replace the friend but I do love him lots. Although I suppose I could just love him but not communicate with him much. (He is terrible at emailing so not a regular free communicative option there)

Quote: zooo @ April 19 2012, 1:57 PM BST

I just don't find it enjoyable at all.
I do love Twitter though. Much more cheerful/useable/non-suicide-enducing than FB.

Signed up to Twitter when I was trying to figure out what it was. I don't post anything though. It can be interesting to see what's trending and see what people are saying. Ocassionaly look at peoples pages but not anyone who feels the need to share they just ate dinner or something mundane.

Quote: reds @ April 19 2012, 2:08 PM BST

Signed up to Twitter when I was trying to figure out what it was. I don't post anything though. It can be interesting to see what's trending and see what people are saying. Ocassionaly look at peoples pages but not anyone who feels the need to share they just ate dinner or something mundane.

Do you inhabit a parallel universe Status Report? :)

Quote: AJGO @ April 19 2012, 2:09 PM BST

Do you inhabit a parallel universe Status Report? :)

Fair point. Since I can't be bothered to Tweet, you lot are stuck with mundane updates about my life.

Hehe. Woo for mundane! \o/

Quote: AJGO @ April 19 2012, 2:03 PM BST

One of my best friends has moved to Spain and is trying to make me get a facebook account. I have resisted for so many years.
I really, really don't want to. If it was anyone else I'd just replace the friend but I do love him lots. Although I suppose I could just love him but not communicate with him much. (He is terrible at emailing so not a regular free communicative option there)

Aw. Maybe it would be easier to Tweet at each other instead.

Quote: Ben @ April 19 2012, 12:26 PM BST

Can you still buy the energy guzzling bulbs? Weren't they supposed to be getting banned? I understand that this highlights (LOL!) the fact that I do very little round the house.

I tried to buy some on-line from Poland.
I needed 100w bayonets which have been off the market for years.
It's only three lamps that need them - so I thought I'd buy plenty.
Ten days later they turn up.

EVERY ONE OF THE C***S BROKEN!

That'll learn me.

And that's why world war 2 started

Texas being Texas, we're fighting back against the federal ban on incandescent bulbs: any bulb made and sold in Texas isn't subject to the federal law because they can only regulate interstate commerce. Something like that, anyway. I doubt there are any such factories here in the first place.