British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 784

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 3:58 PM BST

They are doing it because they enjoy killing an animal. That's f**ked up. And it is NOT respectful. That's really a pathetic claim.

It's the truth, however. I'm sure the average hunter would love to see his prey reanimated, leaving behind neatly wrapped packages of steaks, but as the saying goes: you have to break some eggs to make an omelette. Someone had to kill that pig that you had for breakfast yesterday, by the way.

Hunting requires great skill and patience. I've probably spent 20 silent and motionless hours in cold, uncomfortable deer blinds and I've seen exactly one deer killed. It wasn't all that long ago that our ancestors relied on hunting for their meals and it's still an everyday part of life in much of the world.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 16 2012, 4:08 PM BST

I was honestly just about to post:

'Waits for some smart arse to post 'What about ants, or wasps?'.

Uncanny! :P

We all know that killing animals is based on a size / cuteness scale and how heavily they've featured in childrens films and television shows.

That's why killing rats is fine but not squirrels - tough luck uggo, that's what you get for being unnattractive.

Quote: DaButt @ April 16 2012, 4:19 PM BST

Someone had to kill that pig that you had for breakfast yesterday, by the way.

Are you serious? :O No f**king way. P.S. I has Honey Loops. They were nice.

Hunting requires great skill and patience. I've probably spent 20 silent and motionless hours in cold, uncomfortable deer blinds and I've seen exactly one deer killed.

Is that supposed to be impressive?
It's not.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 16 2012, 4:20 PM BST

That's why killing rats is fine

Who said that? Oh those imaginary liberals that seem to chat to you all day.

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 4:22 PM BST

Who said that?

The big box of rat poison on the supermarket shelf...they were all out of baby seal traps.

Quote: Chappers @ April 16 2012, 4:01 PM BST

So you think I'm being hypocritical? It's OK to kill for food - not just for a f**king trophy or a bit of ivory that is no use to anyone except the rhino or elephant.

Have I not mentioned repeatedly that our hunters eat what they kill, just like the Africans do? And that the meat from the hunts goes to the Africans? And that the money from the hunts is used to purchase game preserves and to pay game wardens?

As far as I know, the ivory is the property of the nation and is sold legally to raise money for the aforementioned programs. Contrast that with the African poachers who leave the carcass to rot, steal the ivory and pay exactly zero dollars for conservation efforts.

Someone had to kill that pig that you had for breakfast yesterday, by the way.

Hey, let's not exaggerate, it wasn't an entire pig, I left the lips and trotters behind.

It's the truth, however.

Possibly for many hunters, though perhaps not these two merry souls!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 16 2012, 4:33 PM BST

Can't hold their drink these leopards.
Bet they f**k it anyway.

Unfortunately, the cat was just stunned, and moments later ripped their faces off...

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 4:22 PM BST

P.S. I has Honey Loops. They were nice.

Are they sold in a cardboard box that's made from rain forest timber that is felled, killing untold numbers of baby birds and monkeys in the process? Or perhaps a plastic bag made from petroleum which spills and kills cute little birdies and fish? ;)

Let's face it: we kill living things every minute of every day of our lives. That's how life works: things die so that other things can live. As for me, I enjoy living and I don't really care if my supper comes from a cattle farm or a bloody carcass hanging upside down from a tree.

Yes, I eat meat. And have probably stepped on a few ants. And people are quite welcome to think I'm a hypocrite for eating meat but being against shooting animals for fun! But to be honest, I'd rather be a hypocrite than someone with no conscience, morals or empathy. Which is how I see hunters who enjoy the kill. (Not you Dabutt, as you've said, you don't even hunt. And not even people who support the right to hunt. Just those who do it, and enjoy it.)

Hunting requires great skill and patience. I've probably spent 20 silent and motionless hours in cold, uncomfortable deer blinds and I've seen exactly one deer killed. It wasn't all that long ago that our ancestors relied on hunting for their meals and it's still an everyday part of life in much of the world.

F**k me. What a waste of time. You could've been on a hobgoblin

Quote: DaButt @ April 16 2012, 4:35 PM BST

Are they sold in a cardboard box that's made from rain forest timber that is felled, killing untold numbers of baby birds and monkeys in the process? Or perhaps a plastic bag made from petroleum which spills and kills cute little birdies and fish? ;)

Let's face it: we kill living things every minute of every day of our lives. That's how life works: things die so that other things can live. As for me, I enjoy living and I don't really care if my supper comes from a cattle farm or a bloody carcass hanging upside down from a tree.

Not saying I agree with any of that. I'm disgusted about the amount of destruction we cause. Maybe Breivik had the right idea.

The sandwich toaster?

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 4:36 PM BST

(Not you Dabutt, as you've said, you don't even hunt. And not even people who support the right to hunt. Just those who do it, and enjoy it.)

What about his deer hunt?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 16 2012, 4:33 PM BST

So is outlawing smiles in post-hunt photographs the answer? Perhaps hunters should be required to produce tears and wear a PETA shirt while posing with their quarry?