How do they pronounce them?

Plastic - Plaaaarstic

Plasticine - Plaaaarstaceeeen

Indiana - Indiaaaaaaaana

'Have you seen Indiaaaaaaana Jones?'

'No, I've seen Indiana Jones, you posh nonce face'

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 4 2012, 1:25 PM BST

Plastic - Plaaaarstic

That used to be popular on Blue Peter, where they often used sticky back plarstic. The funny thing is, there's no regional British accent I know of which utilises such a pronunciation, so presumably it's a complete affectation.These people aren't posh, they just think they need to sound like they are.

Plastic - Plaaaarstic

Indiana - Indiaaaaaaaana

Ah yes, I hate that too.

Plastic - Plaaaarstic

Indiana - Indiaaaaaaaana

Never heard someone from the UK say Indiana but they regularly mangle Maryland and Michigan. They should be pronounced Mare-uh-lund and Mish-iggn but newscaster on the BBC always say Mary-land and Mitch-iggn.

Quote: DaButt @ April 4 2012, 3:53 PM BST

Never heard someone from the UK say Indiana but they regularly mangle Maryland and Michigan. They should be pronounced Mare-uh-lund and Mish-iggn but newscaster on the BBC always say Mary-land and Mitch-iggn.

With you on Michigan.
But I hardly think the people that brought us Dick Van Dyke should be lecturing us how to pronounce 'Mary".
:)

Cue Hancock:

'Is that your car outside?'

'Yes.'

'Move it!'

'I cannot move it, I've no where to put it.'

'Put it in a garridge.'

'I don't have a garaarge.'

Quote: Lazzard @ April 4 2012, 4:02 PM BST

But I hardly think the people that brought us Dick Van Dyke should be lecturing us how to pronounce 'Mary".

We've been improving the language for more than 200 years. Fo shizzle.

Quote: Nogget @ April 4 2012, 3:00 PM BST

The funny thing is, there's no regional British accent I know of which utilises such a pronunciation, so presumably it's a complete affectation.

It's called Received Pronounciation or RP for short and is apparently regularly spoken by 3% of our population (all poshos).

Though I critcise it, it is essential in a nation where regional accents can make people almost unintelligible. I know that the Brits are extremely proud of their colloquial brogues, but it's embarrassing when foreign news services have to put English subtitles underneath what the backwards hill people are saying - especially the Northerns, the Welsh and the Scots.

Quote: DaButt @ April 4 2012, 3:53 PM BST

There's always a debate to be had on how authentically you should pronounce foreign place-names. For example, we say 'Par-is', not 'Par-ee', which many would find sounds pretentious. Perhaps if we tried to say Mare-uh-lund we'd sound as if we were mocking.

Quote: Nogget @ April 4 2012, 6:49 PM BST

Perhaps if we tried to say Mare-uh-lund we'd sound as if we were mocking.

Nah, you'd sound correct. ;)

We share a common language and alphabet so we should be able to pronounce place names properly once we've been introduced to the local pronunciation. The alternative is "I found a bottle of War-sess-ter-shy-er sauce floating in the Thaymz River." :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 4 2012, 6:16 PM BST

the backwards hill people are saying - especially the Northerns, the Welsh and the Scots.

* prepares petrol bomb and gathers together like-minded people from BCG to track down Renegade's address*

Quote: keewik @ April 4 2012, 9:00 PM BST

* prepares petrol bomb and gathers together like-minded people from BCG to track down Renegade's address*

I'm sorry, I can't understand what you're saying. Oh and try not to decant the petrol in your kitchen, I know what you bog dwellers are like.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ April 4 2012, 9:03 PM BST

I'm sorry, I can't understand what you're saying. Oh and try not to decant the petrol in your kitchen, I know what you bog dwellers are like.

Petrol? what the Hell's that? Can you make it from heather?

Quote: keewik @ April 4 2012, 9:04 PM BST

Petrol? what the Hell's that? Can you make it from heather?

Laughing out loud

Aye, petrol is just like Buckfast, but tastes nicer and is better for ya.

Och and that.

People at work get angry that I don't pronounce salt as "soult". I kinda pronounce it "sawlt". If you know what I mean.