British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 818

I approve.

She's very pretty but also reminds me, a little, of the Slitheen (sp?).

Yawn.

Maybe they'll give her a paranoid tick, or a case of tourettes to liven it up.

Hehe!

I will reserve judgement, she might be fine. Totally depends on what her acting's like and what kind of character they give her.

Fingers crossed she might not be annoying.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 21 2012, 11:30 AM GMT

Has no one seen Dr Who before? It's ALWAYS a young-ish woman. Thems the rules.

Don't even bother Stott, you are arguing with the womenfolk here. If they'd chosen a bloke, one group of chicks would complain that women aren't fairly represented on Doctor Who and that the companion has to be a female.

Now that they've chosen some young bit of totty, the womenfolk are complaining that she's not representative of ugly old fat tarts.

And if they'd chosen some ugly old fat tart - like Catherine Tate - then quite rightly, I would have complained.

Of course, if they'd chosen some super hunky young guy, then the chicks would do a complete 180 and throw all their PC bollocks out of the window in a totally hypocritical way.

Finally, there is a small minority rooting for a female Doctor Who. Like chicks can drive, figure out both time and space and use a screwdriver, puh-leeze.

Renegade's drunk again.

Quote: zooo @ March 21 2012, 1:00 PM GMT

Renegade's drunk again.

At least I have an excuse for my delusions young lady.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 21 2012, 11:30 AM GMT

Has no one seen Dr Who before? It's ALWAYS a young-ish woman. Thems the rules.

There were plenty of male companions in the classic series. I don't mind a female companion, or even a young, pretty female companion, but (with the exception of Tate) they're all boring hangers on. The reason I'm disappointed with the choice is that it isn't forcing them to break the mold they've been using. The female doctor from the labyrinth ep would have been a great companion, as would Sally Sparrow - here's hoping this one will be more like them and less like Rose, Martha and Amy.

Quote: Harridan @ March 21 2012, 1:15 PM GMT

There were plenty of male companions in the classic series.

Yes, but there was always a female companion alongside when there was; The Doctor always has a woman, and generally quite a young one, by his side. Not saying it's wrong or right, just the way it's always been.

The new series has had three male companions, though only Rory stuck around for any real length of time.

Sally Sparrow would have been amazing.
Am still disappointed they never went with that.

Quote: zooo @ March 21 2012, 1:19 PM GMT

Am still disappointed they never went with that.

I bet she's not.

Quote: zooo @ March 21 2012, 1:19 PM GMT

You'd have to find a different actress, Carey Mulligan is Hollywood now.

Yes but she wasn't back then.

Quote: Harridan @ March 21 2012, 1:15 PM GMT

There were plenty of male companions in the classic series. I don't mind a female companion, or even a young, pretty female companion, but (with the exception of Tate) they're all boring hangers on. The reason I'm disappointed with the choice is that it isn't forcing them to break the mold they've been using. The female doctor from the labyrinth ep would have been a great companion, as would Sally Sparrow - here's hoping this one will be more like them and less like Rose, Martha and Amy.

I'd go along with that. Sadly Carry Mulligan had better offers. Pity he doesn't take an old hand like Bernard Cribbens with him.

I do think there is a rather dull model of the Dr companion these days as; pseudo girlfriend, pseudo messiah, dim wit who asks obvious questions.