British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 873

You could point out that she's started doing it, without necessarily telling her it's bloody annoying.
She might get the hint and stop.

Ask her if she's been hanging around with Aussie's recently as you've noticed she's been imitating their pattern of speech - then do an annoying imitation.

That will help.

Beat her to death as a warning to others. The only way.

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 3:53 PM GMT

Beat her to death as a warning to others. The only way?'

Rolling eyes

Quote: keewik @ February 22 2012, 3:42 PM GMT

One of my friends has taken to upwardly inflecting her voice on every statement as if it were a bloody question. Do I tell her this is pissing me off, before I hack her to death, or leave her to work it out in the afterlife?

Tell her that if she keeps talking like that you will set her up on a date with Mark Cousins :|

Sometime when I talk to people I can feel their accents starting to rub off on me. In my head I scream "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" but my mouth ignores it.

I would go with what Zooo said.

I daren't - she goes insane if anybody disagrees with her.

Quote: keewik @ February 22 2012, 4:08 PM GMT

Just do it jokey. Say "Ooo you're going a bit Scottish there!" and laugh showing your gums. Snort optional :D

Just speak like all your sentences are definitive answers.

You should ignore it?

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2012, 4:18 PM GMT

Just speak like all your sentences are definitive answers.

I like this idea!

Quote: Rooface @ February 22 2012, 4:01 PM GMT

Sometime when I talk to people I can feel their accents starting to rub off on me. In my head I scream "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" but my mouth ignores it.

I have this problem too! It's awful because it takes me ages to stop doing their accent, so for the first month of my last job I talked with a Dublin accent because my employer was from Dublin. For the first 3-4 months of my current job I spoke with a mild French accent because the while family and all of their friends are French - I was so embarrassed every time I caught myself doing it, but I couldn't stop!

Quote: Badge @ February 22 2012, 4:53 PM GMT

You should ignore it?

Laughing out loud

Quote: Harridan @ February 22 2012, 5:42 PM GMT

I have this problem too! It's awful because it takes me ages to stop doing their accent, so for the first month of my last job I talked with a Dublin accent because my employer was from Dublin. For the first 3-4 months of my current job I spoke with a mild French accent because the while family and all of their friends are French - I was so embarrassed every time I caught myself doing it, but I couldn't stop!

I also do this, it is excruciating. 30 seconds of chatting to an old Irish geezer at the bar and I come back to the table all 'top of the morning to ya'. I shouldn't be allowed to talk to people

Quote: keewik @ February 22 2012, 3:42 PM GMT

One of my friends has taken to upwardly inflecting her voice on every statement as if it were a bloody question. Do I tell her this is pissing me off, before I hack her to death, or leave her to work it out in the afterlife?

That's an Australian trait. Not half as annoying as their earnestness.

she goes insane if anybody disagrees with her.

And a crisp fiver on its way to me for posting the correct answer.

Sorry, another moving-related whinge! How on earth did I acquire so many DVDs? Damn you amazon/play sales.
How am I supposed to pack them without watching them all? This is surely an impossible challenge

Quote: AJGO @ February 22 2012, 5:50 PM GMT

I also do this, it is excruciating. 30 seconds of chatting to an old Irish geezer at the bar and I come back to the table all 'top of the morning to ya'. I shouldn't be allowed to talk to people

Laughing out loud
I do that too...but mainly cos I am Irish...begorrah :)