British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 814

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 4:43 PM GMT

I don't know, most of the celebrity Milfs I can think of, such as Kate Winslet, wouldn't do it.

Exactly, you've got a small TV budget and a slightly nerdy children's sci-fi show. You might get a big actor to come in a do a bit part once in a while, but you're not exactly going to get anybody of major calibre.

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2012, 4:45 PM GMT

Exactly, you've got a small TV budget and a slightly nerdy children's sci-fi show. You might get a big actor to come in a do a bit part once in a while, but you're not exactly going to get anybody of major calibre.

There is a whole herd of hot looking 40-somethings in the acting world, most of them relatively unknown. I'd never even heard of Alex Kingston until she showed up on Doctor Who.

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2012, 4:45 PM GMT

Belinda Stewart-Wilson?

Mainly working in the US. Little known series called ER.

Quote: sootyj @ January 13 2012, 4:28 PM GMT

She does indeed look like the English teacher who take classes with her blouse slightly too tight and the buttons not all done up.
Knowing that classes of sweaty adolesents would stain their duvet covers, imagining they got given overnight detention. Or they needed to stay late after school to discuss their romantic poetry,
she's well grrrr!

Or stay late with economics teacher, Stephanie Flanders. Her blouse buttons bulge particularly when on Newsnight with Paxman. A stern no nonsense man obviously gets posh Steph going.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 5:00 PM GMT

There is a whole herd of hot looking 40-somethings in the acting world, most of them relatively unknown. I'd never even heard of Alex Kingston until she showed up on Doctor Who.

Yeah, but you seem to be suggesting that one of the most brilliant, complex, tortured and lonely men in the universe is actually a bit shallow and can only possibly fall in love with a brassy stunner from Milfs Like It Big (which I'm sure isn't even a real website Whistling nnocently).

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2012, 6:42 PM GMT

Yeah, but you seem to be suggesting that one of the most brilliant, complex, tortured and lonely men in the universe is actually a bit shallow and can only possibly fall in love with a brassy stunner from Milfs Like It Big (which I'm sure isn't even a real website Whistling nnocently).

And you're suggesting he can only fall in love with a semi-attractive actress with a small degree of fame from years ago, that doesn't break the bank on the BBC Wales budget.

Oh wait, that bit is true.

There's a bit of speculation at the mo that Sophia Myles might be returning to Doctor Who, either for a story or as the full time companion, as Madame de Pompadour.

Moffat had tweeted that people should follow here and: "Spin that fireplace. NOW. I'll explain later. Or not."

And she tweeted that she was 'Very pleased', but wasn't going to go into why.

Probably means nothing of the sort, but that's the current speculation. She was very good in her ep, and it would be a nice change to have a companion from another time, rather than just another from now.

She should meet Carpark's stringent standards.
She'll be so relieved!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 8:55 PM GMT

And you're suggesting he can only fall in love with a semi-attractive actress with a small degree of fame from years ago, that doesn't break the bank on the BBC Wales budget.

No, I'm suggesting that the character of River Song didn't work because of the writing. She was a bloody annoying character, and would have been even if they'd got the world's most beautuful 47 year old actress in to play her.

Quote: zooo @ January 13 2012, 9:23 PM GMT

She should meet Carpark's stringent standards.
She'll be so relieved!

Verily. I would be more then happy to drop copious amounts of baby gravy all over her bruised, bloody and crying face. (Damn, I've gone back into Mills and Boon mode)

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2012, 9:36 PM GMT

even if they'd got the world's most beautuful 47 year old actress in to play her.

Who dat?

Sick

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 9:47 PM GMT

Who dat?

I don't know. But she'll probably be shopping in a supermarket in West London tomorrow.

Quote: chipolata @ January 13 2012, 10:15 PM GMT

I don't know. But she'll probably be shopping in a supermarket in West London tomorrow.

Marks and Spencers Kensington High Street 12pm. Don't be late.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 5:00 PM GMT

I'd never even heard of Alex Kingston until she showed up on Doctor Who.

Okay, now it makes sense. You sounded fourteen years old talking about Alex Kingston's 'average looks' when everyone else was talking about her sex appeal. Most of us have been watching her for years - turns out you've just become aware of her through Doctor Who. And I guess only one eye was on the telly while the other scanned thumbnails of skinny Czech models on your laptop cum ashtray, cum cumtray.

Watch her in some other things - Moll Flanders, Essex Boys, Croupier - and you'll start to see why Moffat chose her - she's the perfect vehicle for his smutty dialogue and concept of a woman of uncertain commitment.

She doesn't regularly get cast as femme fatales, hookers, 'sexy women' etc. for no reason. Casting directors know their job very well.