British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 812

Quote: Timbo @ January 13 2012, 10:23 AM GMT

Unlike Richard Curtis, Simon Nye...

But I wouldn't want them taking over the show. Or writing any more episodes, for that matter.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 12 2012, 8:59 PM GMT

However, that is very unlikely to happen, so let's keep the companions munter free regardless of the next Doctor.

I think Karen Gillan has demonstrated that simply not being a munter is no qualification for the role.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 12 2012, 8:52 PM GMT

Jessica Brown Findlay gets my vote. If you have Matt Smith flirting with an obvious munter like Catherine Tate or Miranda Hart or that woman who played River, it looks slighty odd.

Tate is not an unattractive woman, just a terrible comedienne. My main objection to her as a companion was that her performance was a distracting gestalt of all her hilarious comedy characters.

Hart I do not recall being in Who. Has she just become a lazy default for unattractive female?

Alex Kingston might not be a bland skinny womanchild but she exudes sex. By any reckoning she is several leagues above Matt Smith.

Quote: Timbo @ January 13 2012, 10:37 AM GMT

I think Karen Gillan has demonstrated that simply not being a munter is no qualification for the role.

Yes, not the best actress in the world and her character was slightly annoying. Still, if she had these same short comings and was unnattractive to boot, it would have exacerbated the problem.

Tate is not an unattractive woman

Opinions differ (by quite some margin)

Alex Kingston might not be a bland skinny womanchild but she exudes sex.

She was too old to play the female Han Solo. Reminded me of watching Roger Moore in the last few Bond films he made.

Matter of taste though. Some people may be empirically good looking, but most are only to a majority and many others are to a select few.
How are the people casting her supposed to make her good looking to everyone? (If that was even the requirement, which would be silly.) They can't.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 12:11 PM GMT

She was too old to play the female Han Solo. Reminded me of watching Roger Moore in the last few Bond films he made.

Don't be silly, she's a young looking 40 at most. She didn't look old at all. I did find her a bit annoying myself, but let's not make stuff up.

Quote: zooo @ January 13 2012, 12:12 PM GMT

How are the people casting her supposed to make her good looking to everyone? (If that was even the requiremnt, which would be silly.) They can't.

They could start by taking women and gays out of the selecting committee. Seriously, British telly is the worst for this kind of blatant miscasting.

What about gay women.

Quote: zooo @ January 13 2012, 12:13 PM GMT

Don't be silly, she's a young looking 40 at most. She didn't look old at all. I did find her a bit annoying myself, but let's not make stuff up.

I'm not being silly, the character should have been played by a younger looking actress. By all means have her in her 40s, but choose someone who exudes that carefree, youthful, spirit. Alex Kingston looks like every woman I see in Sainsburys doing the Saturday shop.

Quote: zooo @ January 13 2012, 12:15 PM GMT

What about gay women.

Definitely not!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 12:18 PM GMT

I'm not being silly, the character should have been played by a younger looking actress. By all means have her in her 40s, but choose someone who exudes that carefree, youthful, spirit. Alex Kingston looks like every woman I see in Sainsburys doing the Saturday shop.

Ah, fair enough.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 12:18 PM GMT

I. Alex Kingston looks like every woman I see in Sainsburys doing the Saturday shop.

Which branch of Sainsbury's do you shop in?

The River Song role required a woman who was sexy and worldly wise. A MILF in fact. Kingston was perfect casting.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 12 2012, 11:03 PM GMT

I vote for Ken Loach / Mike Leigh.

I'd quite like to see Gilbert and Sullivan helping the Dr in a steam punk episode.

Quote: Timbo @ January 13 2012, 12:51 PM GMT

Which branch of Sainsbury's do you shop in?

The River Song role required a woman who was sexy and worldly wise. A MILF in fact. Kingston was perfect casting.

Go into any supermarket in a posh bit of West London on a Saturday and you will see MILFS that make Alex Kingston look like Bernard Manning.

As for 'perfect casting', I have to strongly disagree with you. River was meant to be the woman that Doctor Who fell in love with*, ergo, she had to be a cut above every other woman in the universe.

(* f**king modern Doctor Who emotional bollocks)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 12:59 PM GMT

(* f**king modern Doctor Who emotional bollocks)

agree with that anyway

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 12:59 PM GMT

Go into any supermarket in a posh bit of West London on a Saturday and you will see MILFS that make Alex Kingston look like Bernard Manning.

With rich birds it is mostly expensive frocks and painstaking paint jobs. They needed someone who could look good in an overall. I know Kingston will have spent hours in make-up but greasy and dishevelled is not an easy look to pull off for women of a certain age. Not many middle-aged women scrub down well.

Yeah, the last thing we want is emotion in our TV shows!

The emotions I want in Dr Who are fear awe anger concern pride greed etc, Not assistants with teen crushes and a Doctor agonising over whether to f**k them.

Quote: Timbo @ January 13 2012, 1:14 PM GMT

The emotions I want in Dr Who are fear awe anger concern pride greed etc, Not assistants with teen crushes and a Doctor agonising over whether to f**k them.

Then please send you're preferred emotion checklist along to the Who Production office. :P