British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 810

Actually the Dr, Aimee, Rory and Captain Jack and K9 as Timmy could be quite fun....

Quote: Miranda Borman @ January 5 2012, 10:58 AM GMT

I wish they could do a take on Enid Blyton... just think - The toys coming alive in the nursery... Going up the Faraway Tree to the Land of Spells or the Land of Topsy-Turvy... Going to the Rivers, Mountains and Castles of Adventure.

It's wonderful - but I don't want all my lovely memories ruined by a Tim Burton mash up!

Just move the show to CBBC where it belongs.

Booo!

I've figured out why I dislike the last few incarnations of Doctor Who so much and that is the lack of character development.

Having the Doctor and Amy blub their love all over the screen from day one means they've got nowhere to go with these characters. Even when life changing events happen, such as Amy becoming a mother, they remained exactly the same.

Obviously, there wasn't a lot of character development in the previous Doctor Whos but they were relying on plots instead of soap opera type emotional gubbins, so they could be excused.

I think the writers really missed a trick with Rory, the only character with somewhere to go. I was really hoping that he was going to be transformed from a meek, hen pecked, wimp into an uber confident galactic warrior type - a proper rival to the Doctor. But no, he kept getting slapped down by his wife and her 'lover'.

Well that's certainly true.

Not to mention how weak the narrative has become. Certainly watching some of the old Tenant episodes were it was startling how coherent they were in comparison.

Having Rory turn into a super slick hero would have been a bit dull and unlikely. He actually did increase in bravery, and showed grit and determintaion, but retained his true personality at the same time.

And he punched Hitler out sparko.

Which was pretty fighty in my book.

I think he's growing into this seasons Jamie.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 5 2012, 1:16 PM GMT

Having Rory turn into a super slick hero would have been a bit dull and unlikely.

So the rest of the show is allowed to be dull and unlikely but having Rory's character grow into something halfway decent would have been wrong? You Whovian Apologists are blind to the programmes inherent flaws.

I will let you get back to watching James Corden and Catherine Tate urinating all over the Tardis.

Unimpressed

You'll never get character development from Moffat because it's not in his arsenal. Certainly none of the other Moff shows I've ever seen have had characters grow and develop in interesting ways. So don't expect or hope for it because it will never happen.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 5 2012, 2:07 PM GMT

You Whovian Apologists

:P

I love how in the Christmas special they had THIRTEEN year old Lily played by a NINETEEN year old. Girl did she look overaged!

Quote: Miranda Borman @ January 7 2012, 10:57 AM GMT

I love how in the Christmas special they had THIRTEEN year old Lily played by a NINETEEN year old. Girl did she look overaged!

Thank f**k for that. I thought I was turning into a paedophile.

Did anyone else notice the sexual chemistry between her and Smith, or I had I just drunk too much sherry?

Fun fact: according to IMBD, the actress Holly Earl played "Young Kochanski" in Red Dwarf in 1999.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0247237/

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2012/01/10-actresses-who-should-be-next.html

Lol, Miranda. She would be better as Doctor than companion, if anything!

Katherine Parkinson would be fun. Or Sally Phillips. Someone proper.