British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 146

Quote: sootyj @ December 26 2011, 12:22 AM GMT

Pratchett's excelent but some of the books rely on you liking and knowing the characters in advance. Others are more accessible to the new reader.

I'd say Guards, Guards, Guards, The Colour of Magic and Equal Rites are all good starters.

Not sure about The Colour of Magic or Equal Rites as I do not think he really got to grips with what he was doing until Mort. Mort or Guards, Guards or Small Gods the best starting point for me. Or perhaps the Tiffany Aching trilogy.

Ok Mort is another good starter (albeit the Death books, pardon the pun, always left me a little cold).

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 25 2011, 8:27 PM GMT

I wouldn't bother, I tried to read a couple and found them really pretty dull. But then I'm not keen on trolls and the like. I'm sure they were supposed to be funny, though, these Pratchett books, or so I had been lead to believe.

I don't think it much matters if you are ken on trolls and the like, as the novels work on a number of levels. It is a bit like saying you don't like Gullivers Travels because it is fantasy.

Quote: sootyj @ December 26 2011, 4:22 AM GMT

Just finished my guiltiest of pleasures, the new Tom Clancy.

And unbelievably he's back on form.

I can't work out if that's a recommendation or not...

War and Peace. Can only read a couple of pages at a time before the teeny print gives me a raging headache

Quote: Rob H @ December 26 2011, 11:21 PM GMT

I can't work out if that's a recommendation or not...

It is if you like Tom Clancy

'The Impossible Dead' - Ian Rankin.

I am reading this. http://textsfrombennett.tumblr.com/

It's hilarious. Texts from a 17 year old white boy who thinks he's black.

This:

Interviews with lots of comedy wrtiers, like Mitch Hurwitz, Bob Odenkirk and Stephen Merchant.

A friend recommended that to me; I have been meaning to get round to it. Any good?

Just started 'Love's Labours Lost' - New Year resolution was to read all of Shakespeare's plays and I'm starting with the ones I once knew to make it easy to slip back into the language. So far I've read 'Midsummer Night's Dream' - (had forgotten how beautiful the language is) and 'The Winter's Tale' - don't remember realising when I was young just what a cruel arse Leontes was! And why the Queen pretended she was dead for 16 years when he'd already repented, beats me - what a waste of 16 years. Read Act 1 of 'LLL' today and realised I can't remember a thing about it, though there are many cryptic pencil marks in the margin.

Quote: Timbo @ January 17 2012, 1:16 PM GMT

A friend recommended that to me; I have been meaning to get round to it. Any good?

Well, I've only actually read about half the interview with one writer, but those three or four pages were nice enough!

Alan partridges book

Lovely stuff

Sharpe's Fortress; I had resisted these as potboilers, but I am on my third now and I am hooked. Brutally efficient story telling and impressively researched.

Crooked Little Veins, Warren Ellis

What a funny, clever little treasure trove of a book.