British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 21

Quote: Declan @ November 24 2011, 11:34 PM GMT

1) We always say that you should read the rules and stick to them. If you do that, you'll be in the top 10%. Then break a few and you'll be in the top 1%. Disregard them completely and you're in the bottom 20% and we'll ridicule you on this forum.

Read that again, folks. They aren't saying they'll ridicule people for being bad writers, or for not liking their sitcoms. They're saying they'll ridicule people who have entered a competition and not bothered to stick to the rules. Honestly, I think that's fair game.

If you play the National Lottery and select 10 numbers rather than 6 because you think that's a more satisfying number to pick, whatever your reasoning you won't win anything, because you're an idiot.

You can argue that YOUR sitcom competition would have different rules. Fair enough. But this isn't your competition, it's theirs, and the rules are very clear and straightforward.

Perhaps there should be some way where people aren't forced to enter this competition?

Quote: rwayne @ November 25 2011, 10:41 AM GMT

Perhaps there should be some way where people aren't forced to enter this competition?

:D

Quote: andyblacksheep @ November 25 2011, 10:31 AM GMT

Read that again, folks. They aren't saying they'll ridicule people for being bad writers, or for not liking their sitcoms. They're saying they'll ridicule people who have entered a competition and not bothered to stick to the rules. Honestly, I think that's fair game.

If you play the National Lottery and select 10 numbers rather than 6 because you think that's a more satisfying number to pick, whatever your reasoning you won't win anything, because you're an idiot.

You can argue that YOUR sitcom competition would have different rules. Fair enough. But this isn't your competition, it's theirs, and the rules are very clear and straightforward.

I think you are missing the point. I have no problem with the rules (and I hope they don't change this year). I have no problem with D&S wanting to strangle people who break whichever rules are in place at that time. But I don't think public ridicule is a very 21st century way of doing things, that's all.

Quote: simon wright @ November 25 2011, 8:33 AM GMT

I'm willing to split the royalties with you'. All these things have happened.

Well to scrupulously fair it is part of the rules! :D

Badge, we'd NEVER publish anyone's personal details when sharing the 'how not to write for us' info.

It's more like therapy - we're sharing so that we can remain sane and go on to the next script. Once we've read 20 scripts in a day that blatantly disregard the rules, we can start to doubt our own sanity, let alone other people's.

Quote: Declan @ November 25 2011, 11:37 AM GMT

Badge, we'd NEVER publish anyone's personal details when sharing the 'how not to write for us' info.

I never thought you would do such a thing, but that's not quite how your words came across. Hence my "lost in translation" remark.

Now, which 10 numbers shall I pick for Euromillions tonight?

I'd pick 1 to 11.

Could I ask what's the minimum amount of characters that have had any success in this comp I've got four in mine but I am looking to cut it down to three

If I picked 10 numbers on the lottery I'm sure the woman would give me my pound back and explain how to do it properly, will that be the same for the bottom 20% for this comp...?

Roberta, you can have as many or as few characters as you like. What's important is that we get to know them well and how they respond to pressure. Difficult to do that with 30 characters in 15 minutes. But why are you considering cutting one of your characters? Is he/she redundant or boring or ineffective or unfunny or what? If they bring nothing to the script, then ask why they're there.

RedZed, if there's a queue of 100 people behind you, she might call you a few choice things and stick the lottery slip up your jacksy as well.

Quote: Declan @ November 25 2011, 1:46 PM GMT

RedZed, if there's a queue of 100 people behind you, she might call you a few choice things and stick the lottery slip up your jacksy as well.

Well if there's a hundred more scripts behind mine don't bother reading it, just stick it up your jacksy...

How many entries have their been this time around?

Quote: Marc P @ November 25 2011, 1:55 PM GMT

How many entries have their been this time around?

Sitcom mission entries? Or entries up people's jacksies?

Quote: Declan @ November 25 2011, 1:46 PM GMT

Roberta, you can have as many or as few characters as you like. What's important is that we get to know them well and how they respond to pressure. Difficult to do that with 30 characters in 15 minutes. But why are you considering cutting one of your characters? Is he/she redundant or boring or ineffective or unfunny or what? If they bring nothing to the script, then ask why they're there.

[quote name="Roberta" post="825307" date="November 25 2011, 2:02 PM GMT"][quote name="Declan" post="825303" date="November 25 2011, 1:46 PM GMT"]Roberta, you can have as many or as few characters as you like. What's important is that we get to know them well and how they respond to pressure. Difficult to do that with 30 characters in 15 minutes. But why are you considering cutting one of your characters? Is he/she redundant or boring or ineffective or unfunny or what? If they bring nothing to the script, then ask why they're there.

Thanks Declan each character has their own strand I am just deciding if I can get the four strands into fifteen minutes or if less characters is better.
Secondly do you ever do your workshops outside London in the Midlands perhaps?