British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 17

Quote: simon wright @ November 17 2011, 8:10 PM GMT

So now I'd say 'Find an example of a professionally formatted script online (not a fan's transcription) that you particularly enjoy, print it out and copy the layout.' This way you'll not only format your script clearly, but you should learn a lot by reading the episode you downloaded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/insight/tv_comedy.shtml

A good selection here - and an object lesson in how there is no 'right' way to do it.

Thanks for the link Lazzard.

Pre-empting the formatting questions like that isn't very festive.

I love this time of year - the first time you hear 'Fairytale of New York' in the pubs, and the first post asking if it's ok to send Sitcommision entries as Word docs.

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

"The boys of the NY PDF choir were singing Galway Bay..."

:D Quick as a flash. Wish I could think of a pun that quick...or at all.

I'm not proud!

Quote: Declan @ November 12 2011, 10:13 PM GMT

Cost was one of the reasons. One script set in one room versus another script set in multiple outdoor locations. If you are a commissioner, which one are you going to plump for?

It does dictate a bit what a writer creates tho, possibly could change a great sitcom draft into an awkward looking dull thing, if you've set out to write the new Some Mothers Do Ave Em.

Linked to this slightly, do you you allow the use of props? I know you don't want beds or coffins or wardrobes, but what about small things like bags, cups, sausages, things you can hold in your hands or even swing a bit?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 19 2011, 10:41 AM GMT

It does dictate a bit what a writer creates tho, possibly could change a great sitcom draft into an awkward looking dull thing, if you've set out to write the new Some Mothers Do Ave Em.

Linked to this slightly, do you you allow the use of props? I know you don't want beds or coffins or wardrobes, but what about small things like bags, cups, sausages, things you can hold in your hands or even swing a bit?

The Smoking Room (which was one simple set for the entire run) was hardly an awkward looking dull thing. When we had a meeting with Channel 4 they told us that they were looking for the next Smoking Room. Why not give them what they want, rather than try to force them to want what you give them?

You can use all the sausages you want. We encourage people to use simple, significant props. The one thing that says a lot. If two guys enter holding pints of lager we know we're in a bar. Similarly if two guys enter in speedos to a sound effect of a swimming pool you immediately know where you are. Pints of lager and speedos are simple, cheap, easily-obtainable props, but they say a lot. Small props, big impact. *

Also (as has been said before) don't neglect sound f/x. You can waste precious dialogue having two characters tediously establish that we're at an airport, or you can have an announcement in the background saying 'this is the final call for flight FDZ 1803 to Frankfurt' while two women enter with carry-on luggage. Small sound effect, big impact.

* further examples from forum lurkers are very welcome. What simple prop or sound effect says the most in the least time? No prize whatever for the best entry, just a warm, smug glow.

Hmmmmm... a fishing rod.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 19 2011, 10:41 AM GMT

... things like bags, cups, sausages, things you can hold in your hands or even swing a bit?

* tries to imagine premis of Kipper's sit-com "The Juggling Butcher"*

Has a single person comedy ever been tried for this comp like a Marion & Geoff?

Quote: Roberta @ November 19 2011, 1:55 PM GMT

Has a single person comedy ever been tried for this comp like a Marion & Geoff?

Yes, we've had single person entries before. Though none of them has made it to the finals. Yet.

Even if you're not writing a one-hander, It's not a bad idea to keep the number of characters down. One common failing is to pad the script with characters that we'll never see again, so that we don't really have time to learn who the regulars are or what they will be like week after week.

The shotgun approach to character mix (if I throw enough characters into this they're bound to like some of them) never works.

Quote: richiemoomoo @ November 19 2011, 1:04 PM GMT

Hmmmmm... a fishing rod.

Great example. You're the current leader Richiemoomoo.

Quote: simon wright @ November 19 2011, 12:20 PM GMT

What simple prop or sound effect says the most in the least time?

A dildo.

(Combined with a "loud buzzing" sound effect)

A large fat pheasant. (Deceased of course)

Quote: simon wright @ November 19 2011, 4:22 PM GMT

Great example. You're the current leader Richiemoomoo.

Cool