British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 16

Quote: Marc P @ November 9 2011, 9:58 AM GMT

Victor basically wants a simple, peaceful life but he is prevented from getting it by his own failure to let things lie.

Exactly. A character who wants a quiet life is boring.

A character WHO WILL DO ANYTHING for a quiet life becomes interesting because we can then put things in their way.

Which is why I find it bizarre when the BBC bill Him and Her as a sitcom about 'a pair of ambition-free 20-somethings'.

Lots of great advice here recently, just saved me £97 plus VAT...

What's the general opinion on Smoking Room and is a format like that suitable for Sitcom Mission?

Smoking Room was good.

Hi

I wondered if I could ask you Declan whether it is possible to see any of this year's finalists entries, in script form or excerpts from the actual final. I've had a search on the internet but can't find anything at all.

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Riches

1) Channel 4 told us they're looking for the next Smoking Room, so it would be rude not to.
2) We'll be publishing 2010's winner, Thunderer, as a blog in the next week or so. We were going to put this as a part of the ebook, but that's taken an interesting turn. More details to follow...

Quote: Declan @ November 12 2011, 7:45 PM GMT

Hi Riches

1) Channel 4 told us they're looking for the next Smoking Room, so it would be rude not to.

Be interesting to know why, exactly. Hopefully not just because it was all on one set, so they think it'll be cheap.

Cost was one of the reasons. One script set in one room versus another script set in multiple outdoor locations. If you are a commissioner, which one are you going to plump for?

And funny is good too.

Quote: Declan @ November 12 2011, 10:13 PM GMT

Cost was one of the reasons. One script set in one room versus another script set in multiple outdoor locations. If you are a commissioner, which one are you going to plump for?

The best script! (That's why I'll never make it as a commissioner :( )

Hi, just want to say, if anyone's been trying to book onto our Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop on November 26 in London, it isn't sold out, so you can book here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Sorry for any confusion.

Cheers, Declan

Thanks for keeping us updated with the info Declan.

How did the Help! I've Written a Script and Script Reading workshops go on the 12th? I'm thinking of booking onto a future one.

Hi Welshy

We had a great script reading on Saturday and the CDs are going out this week to those who signed up. They're always useful for us to develop relationships with actors and we had some great improvisation and hot seating which I hope the authors will find particularly useful.

We'll be doing another one in January, so you'll have sufficient time to take the feedback on board before the Early Bird closing date.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Declan @ November 16 2011, 11:32 AM GMT

we had some great improvisation and hot seating which I hope the authors will find particularly useful.

More and more we're using actors at the readings who are not only skilled sight-readers, but also experienced at improv. When we hotseat a talented improv actor they will suggest avenues that you may not have explored. It's like having a brilliantly inventive writing partner.

Having a CD of the recordings helps, too. Usually when writers hear their stuff read out they are so self-conscious that they're not really listening. A bit like being so worried about how you're coming across on a first date that you forget to focus on the person the other side of the table.

Who's going to be first with a 'coming across on a first date' joke I wonder?

For anyone who missed Julie Bower's excellent sitcom pilot 49 Cedar Street, it's being repeated on BBC Radio 4 on Wednesday 7 December at 11.30am.

It's around this time that we get lots (and I mean lots) of queries about formatting entries for The Sitcom Mission.

We usually say that we don't mind how something is formatted as long as we can read it. This isn't strictly true as we had no trouble reading a script that was formatted like the example below; it just drove us nuts trying to read it.

Bill (to Ben) How are you?
Ben (to Bill) Fine. How are you?
Bill (to Ben) Bit rough actually.

Etc, etc.

He'd obviously never seen a sitcom script before which is curious because he submitted by computer, and there are hundreds of sitcom scripts available online. For free.

So now I'd say 'Find an example of a professionally formatted script online (not a fan's transcription) that you particularly enjoy, print it out and copy the layout.' This way you'll not only format your script clearly, but you should learn a lot by reading the episode you downloaded.