British Comedy Guide

YouTube Comedy Channel

Bonjour!

Me and my buddies from uni have been running a comedy channel for around a year now, we spend far more time than we should planning, shooting and editing our sketches. We are planning to smash out a few big sketches and spend mega bucks in the upcoming month, seeing as we are students spending more than £10 on anything that won't feed you for at least a week is sacrilege, and we are intending to spunk as much up the wall as we can in order to make our comedy memorable.

Any advice or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated! you can find our channel here:

www.youtube.com/victorioussponge

If you would be so kind to have a cheeky look then please tell me what you thought!

Thanks

Vicky Sponge

x

Hi Chris, Andrew and Ollie,

Just watched 3 of your videos (Crazy Golf, Random Emotion and London Gang) and here's my advice.

With Crazy Golf, I thought it was an OK punchline, but could be improved to get more humour out of it. I'd cut down on the explaining shots at the beginning (we know he's going to play Crazy Golf, we don't need to see lots of lingering shots of parrots and signs saying where he is) Establish where is quickly then dive straight in. It also unfortunately only has 1 punchline which it's based around, a sketch of that length with no other jokes will cause the audience I'm sure to get bored. So sprinkle some more comedy and jokes throughout cut it down immensely and get the gag quickly.

Random Emotion IMO was far too long as a stand alone sketch, nearly hitting 5 mins. It would work if it was in a sketch show, and was broken up throughout the show but not all in one go. But then again, you could expand the idea and turn into a mockumentary/Louis Theroux style programme. I thought the idea itself is funny and I'm sure there's a load of comedy in that for you guys to explore. I got a bit frustrated though, I wanted more examples! You only seemed to show roller coasters, then the thrill hitting later. I'd have loved to seen more examples of when the emotion could hit someone later at an embarrassing time.

My favourite of the 3 was London Gangs. An obvious nod to Peep Show! Not sure I really got the ironing bit at the end? I liked it though and could see it working well, with the just thinking more mundane and boring thoughts

Thanks for the feedback Goose! I appreciate you taking your time to help us out, I'll definitely pass on your advice to the boys and try to implement some of it in future sketches.

The 'Crazy Golf' sketch is admittedly a bit of a failure. I came up with the idea whilst walking past a crazy golf course and thinking 'It would be brilliant if the course its self wasn't crazy at all and there was just some nutcase hobo intimidating everyone'. Then I took the idea further and found a course that would let us film, unfortunately the course was TOO crazy; so the original plan (and the joke there-in) wouldn't have worked. So what you can see in the video is an improvisation of what would have been a well planned sketch! boo.

But anyway yes, thanks! new sketches to follow.

Chris

x