British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 799

Are there any rumours that Moffat or Smith or Gillan might be going to leave?

(I avoid all Doctor Who talk while it's on to avoid spoilers, but that means I never hear behind the scenes type gossip either.)

Quote: zooo @ October 6 2011, 1:29 PM BST

Are there any rumours that Moffat or Smith or Gillan might be going to leave?

(I avoid all Doctor Who talk while it's on to avoid spoilers, but that means I never hear behind the scenes type gossip either.)

No rumours about Smith or Moffat leaving,no; they'll both be in place until at least 2013, the 50th anniversary. It's probably a good bet that Smith will regenerate as part of that. Maybe one or both might go then. Gillan I don't think will be a constant companion next series, but she will appear to some degree.

Oooooh, interesting. Thanks.

Oh, and the next series won't start until Autumn/Winter next year.

Boo.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 6 2011, 1:26 PM BST

when I don't like something I don't watch it

After the first four episodes you'd awarded a total of -2, and yet you persevered to the end. Does this mean you liked the series.

Quote: Nogget @ October 6 2011, 1:43 PM BST

After the first four episodes you'd awarded a total of -2, and yet you persevered to the end. Does this mean you liked the series.

No. It was toilet.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 6 2011, 1:36 PM BST

Oh, and the next series won't start until Autumn/Winter next year.

Interesting. Much like the hiatus in this year's run this seems to suggest recovery time for Moffat, since he is out of ideas. Not really surprising that he puts his scripts together slowly - they have the feel of something studied and carefully wrought, rather than something bashed out from the guts. It's still a turd at the end though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 6 2011, 1:31 PM BST

No rumours about Smith or Moffat leaving,no; they'll both be in place until at least 2013, the 50th anniversary. It's probably a good bet that Smith will regenerate as part of that. Maybe one or both might go then. Gillan I don't think will be a constant companion next series, but she will appear to some degree.

They should bring back William Hartnell. That would be pretty cool. Bring the wheel full circle. I'm sure CGI is advanced enough nowadays. Just Photoshop a grey wig onto Gollum, bingo!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 6 2011, 1:31 PM BST

I very much doubt if Moffat will do another season after next year's. All down to his contract and whether anyone comes forward to replace him, but after two series it should be clear to everyone that he's not the man to run the show.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 6 2011, 2:03 PM BST

I very much doubt if Moffat will do another season after next year's. All down to his contract and whether anyone comes forward to replace him, but after two series it should be clear to everyone that he's not the man to run the show.

He's definitely there until at least 2013.

If Moffat's shown us anything, it's that dates and events mean nothing.

He won't be there in 2013. And next year's show will be a lot different. No arcs, no jigsaw-puzzle-timewank-brain-sodomy.

You need to face facts, Matt - he's been a disappointment. After last year everyone said he hadn't had a chance to find his feet, or he was working with scripts commissioned by RTD etc. Next year would be better. Well it hasn't been, has it? If anything last year was better.

Never mind Amy Pond, we are The Audience who waited.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 6 2011, 2:19 PM BST

If Moffat's shown us anything, it's that dates and events mean nothing.

He won't be there in 2013.

He will, if only for the fact that the next series won't end until 2013! Because the start date is now late 2012, the second half will spread into 2013.

Damn, you got me.

He'll be there but everyone will think he's a c**t. Even the runners.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 6 2011, 2:19 PM BST

He won't be there in 2013. And next year's show will be a lot different. No arcs, no jigsaw-puzzle-timewank-brain-sodomy.

It certainly sounds that way. I think that's unfortunate.

You need to face facts, Matt - he's been a disappointment. After last year everyone said he hadn't had a chance to find his feet, or he was working with scripts commissioned by RTD etc. Next year would be better. Well it hasn't been, has it? If anything last year was better.

I disagree with everything in this paragraph. I have no memory of Classic Who (and no desire to revisit it) but the last two series have been my favourite of the New Who batch and Moffat's episodes have been particular highlights.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 6 2011, 2:31 PM BST

I disagree with everything in this paragraph. I have no memory of Classic Who (and no desire to revisit it) but the last two series have been my favourite of the New Who batch and Moffat's episodes have been particular highlights.

Why have they been your favourite?