British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 4,070

Here's one for the youngsters. See who can spot who I'm parodying before they get to the end...

---

Earlier this evening
'Bout quarter to ten
God came a calling
Or was it Uncle Ken

A Mancunian voice
Rammed in me 'ead
Couldn't get it out
I should've gone to bed

It's still there now
What the 'ell do I do?
Shoud I have a lobotomy?
Or just do a poo?

It can't be me uncle
Less likely it's God
I tell thee who it could be
Could be bloody Ken Dodd

Nah, no chance
The geezer's Scouse
He's so old now
He can't get out the 'ouse

But I can take it no more
This old Northern bark
My mind must be infected
By John Cooper Clarke

Quote: keewik @ September 26 2011, 9:50 PM BST

Put the phone down! Put the phone down! (Splutters with rage). Once he started into his spiel (having lied and said he wasn't selling anything) I told him I wasn't interested and that we were on TPS. The bastard then said "Don't you be nippy with me!" I put the phone down. He rang again. I lifted it and put it down. He rang again. Mr Keewik threatened him with the Police and put the phone down. He rang again. Mr K then read back the number and said he'd report it again. Put the phone down. He rang again! We ignored it. He rang again! Six calls. We've sent an email to TPS. The number was 01592 642600 and if you Google it, masses of complaints come up. it seems to be a firm in Fife and indeed I'd say he had a Fife accent (and did give that name of the company. I still want to kill him.

When I rejoined the TPS recently as part of a BT phone deal, they gave me a free service of Called Id , so I can see the number of the caller unless they suppress it. So you can perhaps see the number of such callers before you pick up the phone. If it is the pest's number you can simply let it ring.

My husband got a call this evening telling him he was entitled to compensation for mis-sold insurance.
He said 'this is a private alarm number, how did you get it?'
The caller replied that it is available on 'any database' and once again said he was entitled to compensation. The conversation continued:
Hub 'how do you know I have been mis-sold insurance?'
Caller 'Have you?'
'Why are you asking, you just said I was entitled, so what do you know about me exactly?'
'70% of the population are entitled sir, so you probably are, do you think you are?'
'I am not going to discuss any personal information with a cold caller who shouldn't have this number, where exactly did you get it, who do you work for?'
He kept the conversation going like that mainly because he was so furious that someone rang a panic alarm number, which when it rings means there is an emergency. Whatever he asked, he couldn't get to the bottom of it and couldn't get the caller's name or which Company he was calling from. In the end he hung up but it's infuriating and also worrying as if one person can do it then I guess anyone can.

That's awful. As scummy as they are, some are just trying to make a wage. But to continue with the sell after they've been told it's an emergancy only line is a real low-life.

Yeah. Don't think there is anything we can do about it either. :(

No, I'm not sure either? Could you call your phone provider and explain the situation? Just a thought.

Good idea, I'll get hub to have a go tomorrow, or today rather. :)

Well if you go to sleep it'll be tomorrow. If you dont. it'll be today.

I'm going to try and sleep now.

Goodluck!

:D Sleep sounds good, think I might give it a try. Night. xx Wave

Quote: Oldrocker @ September 26 2011, 9:46 PM BST

Like this you mean?

Or do you want a bicycle?

That would be cool but I'd never be able to ride it.

Someone has been charging things to my credit card. I've finally entered the 21st century. Errr

Married?

On another note I had a strange American brew called Blue Moon yesterday which was served up with a half segment of orange, it was surprisingly refreshing on a hot day!

I've decided that Facebook knows (and is sharing) more about me than I'm comfortable with. Even though I've always been quite strict about who can see what. I've downloaded my FB data and am now in the process of stripping it back. Then I will next work on what appears in Google (if I Google my name I get 2-3 solid pages of results, which is too much of an internet presence for someone who has done nothing of note).

Facebook is well tricky.

Don't you want to see what it's like when it changes on Friday, first, though?
Although it might get even worse for privacy then, who knows.

I want it stripping down before Friday, really. I see facebook statuses and pics etc as transient things which should come and go, not be used to form a timeline of your life! I've got all of my messages and everything saved which is good. They don't make it easy to scale back your account though- I'm having to go in and delete everything individually which will take hours.