British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 791

Ahhhh.. I think it was lovely. Loads of banter about James C and the Doctor being good mates.. it was right he had to visit someone the day before he died so who better. And Doctor Who doesn't have to be about action and adventure and thrills... sometimes it's good to be just about honest relationships and the power of love.

Is this the first ep this year you've enjoyed, or have I just been undone by some serious black belt level sarcasm?

Ooops.... sorry Matthew but the second really. SOrry :(

And I have enjoyed lots of eps!! :)

Quote: Marc P @ September 24 2011, 9:40 PM BST

Ooops.... sorry Matthew but the second really. SOrry :(

Ahh, and normal service is resumed!

Quote: Marc P @ September 24 2011, 9:41 PM BST

And I have enjoyed lots of eps!! :)

Why've you been keeping it to yourself?

But we did get to see Amy and Rory briefly and she was a famous model suddenly now.. or then or in the then/then future/past or somesuch. As he was just popping back to see old friends... were where they all by the way?... on the day before he died.. he might have said hello don't you think. Or were they just there so we didn't think it was just a blank filler ep - apart from the arc stuff at the end.

I think it was the weakest of the eps so far in this run... for me. If you love the doctor/whatsisface banter I can see why you might like it. But that didn't work for me so there wasn't really a lot left. It was a two hander... but had no depth to justify that.

But looking forward to next weeks... when maybe the Arc will finally land on Mount wherever and the dove will bring the olive branch.

:)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 24 2011, 9:43 PM BST

Ahh, and normal service is resumed!

Why've you been keeping it to yourself?

Read back Matthew I say a lot of good things, when I like them, just when I don't it is easier to write why I didn't think so. Drama after all is all about conflict.. and, for a good example, where was the conflict in tonight's episode?

It's the filler of the run, & had a lot to get through, what with the creepy ending.
But the next/last episode can hit the ground running and we start to see the circle close.

I liked the episode, but the new Cybermen seem far oo easy to kill or ward off these days, and don't come across as very smart either.

The journey in the Ep was enjoyable and the Cyberdeaths had just enough logic to be palatable.

I think this series has been very good overall, I even liked the Flesh one which doesn't seem to be that popular.

Cybermen were always a distinctly Lidl adversary arsing around the universe in their clapped out starships

Quote: sootyj @ September 24 2011, 10:24 PM BST

Cybermen were always a distinctly Lidl adversary arsing around the universe in their clapped out starships

They were top in the sixties, but never handled as well since. There really is a great, creepy horror story to be told featuring the Cybermen. Though obviously it wouldn't be able to be pushed too far. And they'd need a re-design again, make them less action figure-like.

I really thought things were headed in a hopeful direction with their brief appearance in The Pandorica Opens last year.

I suppose I didn't mean Lidl adversary in an entirely bad way.

More that whilst the Daleks were M&S all shiny ships, time travel and big snazzy universe dominating plans.

Cybermen were more likely to be hiding in a wheely bin ready to ambush refuse collectors. Creepy but low rent,

The Troughton Cybermen eps were great especially The Invasion.
Pertwee never had a Cyberman adventure.
And the Tom Baker & Peter Davison ones I saw weren't the best.
Did they have any good uns with McCkoy or Colin Baker?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 24 2011, 10:43 PM BST

The Troughton Cybermen eps were great especially The Invasion.
Pertwee never had a Cyberman adventure.
And the Tom Baker & Peter Davison ones I saw weren't the best.
Did they have any good uns with McCkoy or Colin Baker?

Colin Baker had a pretty terrible one, Attack Of The Cybermen. There's a good bit where they crush a mans hands, and blood pours out. You'd never get away with that at tea time these days!

I've always enjoyed McCoys Cyber-story, Silver Nemesis, but it's not actually what you'd call 'good'.

I think I might have seen an episode of that.
Were there Bows & Arrows or something.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 24 2011, 10:46 PM BST

There's a good bit where they crush a mans hands, and blood pours out. You'd never get away with that at tea time these days!

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 24 2011, 10:54 PM BST

I think I might have seen an episode of that.
Were there Bows & Arrows or something.

That's the one.

dire episode.

I just don't belive any father would put their baby in that much danger by following the doctor about.

Thinking about it most of the last few episodes have been sort of tributes.

This one seemed very similar to Boom Town one of my faves. The Dr comes up against a rather weedy adversary trapped on earth and spends most of the episode chatting with friends, and actually revealing far more interesting stuff than usual.

In some respects this episode was actually rather good. I liked the sad chat with Alfie about how old he felt. And the idea that the Dr spends his last day with a friend. But a new friend who only really knows him as a decent sort. And perhaps feeling like a person not the Dr before the end.

Is well pretty damned neat. Much better than the bloody drawn out Tenant good bye fest.

But it was ruined by spending so much time on that idiotic Cyberman plot that just droned on and on.