Quote: Badge @ September 24 2011, 1:19 AM BST

dire

Bloody

Best

Poor

Sadly, " pretty good by most standards" is the greatest compliment Karen's had about her acting.

Good to see you back again Badge.

But Tenant the golden age of New Who you sure?

Last weeks was a rather fun episode, alot closer to HHG2TG
The rather charming TV version. Particularly the idea of a cowardly planet surviving, even the graphics when it turns into a holo suite at the end.

The whole thing charmed and amused rather effectively.

The rather charming TV version. Particularly the idea of a cowardly planet surviving, even the graphics when it turns into a holo suite at the end.

Quote: sootyj @ September 24 2011, 9:33 AM BST

Who mentioned Tennant? The golden era of New Who stories covers the first three series. Yes Tennant was the doc for two of those but I don't rate him particularly highly, and I have said many times how good I think Matt Smith is. The problem for Smith is the stories. Nothing in his era approaches the standard of episodes from series 1-3. Dalek, Father's Day, The Empty Child, Blink, Human Nature, etc etc. Does anyone genuinely think any story from this or recent series matches any of those?

Looking forward to tonight's, of course.

Wow there fella!

I see the Ecclestone era as being a golden age, much less inhibited and worried about kids sensibilities.

I think Tenants run had some good episodes but it was crippled by sentimentality in all too many.

I do like the current encumbent of the Tardis.

Epecially as like Ecclestone he is a flawed time lord.

Quote: sootyj @ September 24 2011, 9:33 AM BST

Particularly the idea of a cowardly planet surviving,

I didn't like this, surely almost all of the whoniverse monsters we have met would not colonize a cowardly planet?

Daleks - Exterminate
Cybermen - Delet/turn occupents into more cybermen
Sycoraxx - Kill a third of the populatin and take all there stuff
Slyveen - Just take all there stuff
Weeping Angels - Turn into more angels
Silence - Well they would occupy, but cooperation would not be nessesary, besides silence would fall (whatever that is) if nobody tried to stop them.
Sontarins - Kill everyone
etc etc

Daleks are the liberal democrats of evil aliens

We will exterminate.

Actually we won't

We'll occupy you and nick stuff and trundle around, stop picking on us we're complicated!

From the last two series, I would say Smith's first ep, the Angels 2 parter, Impossible Astronaut/Day Of The Moon and The Doctor's Wife, have joined my personal list of new Who classics.

Very interesting point.

So if you're adding the Day of the Moon an episode which makes very little conventional sense.

Are you joining me in saying that narrative and style can beat story?

Quote: sootyj @ September 24 2011, 3:45 PM BST

Are you joining me in saying that narrative and style can beat story?

Eh? Narrative is story. What do you mean?

Narrative is the narration and story telling process.

The story is the plotted/planned script.

Is this leading up to a super hush hush plan to rea;ly kill off the original Doctor and have a new, possibly female Doctor?

Dunno what a load of rubbish though.

Only good bit was the new cybermat desgin, the rest was just awful and lazy

Usually no slouch in the acting department, James Corden looked like someone they picked up from the local am-dram soctiety.

Having a comedy episode is fine but they had little chemistry and wasn't amusing just a load of piffle.

Not much of a story, and the Cybermen were wasted. There really is a great, creepy Cyberman story that could be told, but the more they appear, the less likely it is that it will be told. In fact it's probably already too late, unless they're rested for several years.

It was an easy, fun watch though, a bit of light relief after the last two episodes, and before the big finale.

The main plus point is that Smith and Corden, as last time, are great together; he would have made a great companion.