British Comedy Guide

The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 6

Can I ask a dumb f**k question.

Can you submit more than one entry?

Quote: bigfella @ September 20 2011, 11:31 AM BST

Can I ask a dumb f**k question.

Can you submit more than one entry?

At £10 a pop I imagine they'll take as many as you can write!

Not dissing them, I think an entry fee is an enormously sensible and after last year inevitable idea.

Rule 1

The competition is open to anyone. There is a £10 (early bird) and £15 (final deadline) entry fee per script. There is no limit to the number of entries made.

Cheers, Declan

PS Reading the rules is really important. If anybody wants to read them, they can.

Quote: Declan @ September 21 2011, 12:25 AM BST

PS Reading the rules is really important. If anybody wants to read them, they can.

This. At least if your intention is to try and win the competition, rather than simply to enter the competition.

Reading the rules. What a novel concept.

I have a piece of wall I can sell you Declan. It's just the right size for banging your head against when yet another numpty fails to comply with the rules. For a small consideration I could even add a target area.

Just to say the Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop on October 8 is selling well, so if you want to book on it, be quick.

We're also up for doing workshops around the country if you can get a venue and the punters together. We're doing one in Cambridge on October 16 thanks to Seascribe Venus, which has already sold out.

Declan,

Could you please clarify whether you want a pilot episode or later epiosde? I have read and reread the guidelines and see no reference to this.I do remember this topic being discussed on last year's forum although I was never clear as to the answer.

Hi Rizzo

A first episode is fine, just as long as it's really funny.

But don't give us 14 pages of exposition then introduce your central characters on page 15. We want to see the characters that we'll be meeting every week.

Hope that helps

Cheers, Declan

I find it works better to take my 'best' episodes and tune them up. I've tried contests with first episodes in the past and it hasn't worked. I've noticed myself the episode didn't look catchy. It's about hitting that stage with something in full flow, imo. Unless you have a first episode as good as The Lord Melbury one in FT, for example, I wouldn't even think of it. Myself.

Declan, if you're still there, what are the biggest mistakes most entries are making?

And overall, are most scripts giving you what you want? Which I gather is laughs.

And lastly, just so I know what your taste in sitcoms is, which can vary a lot with people, do you prefer something like Not Going Out to Some Mothers Do Have Em. ? The former being very joke based but weak on character, the latter I'd say was the opposite. Please don't say 'both'! I'm trying to get what it is the judges like best. Personally, what's your preference? Ta.

Hi Alfred

We're preparing an ebook which will answer many questions, but for now:

1) It needs to be funny AND interesting. But definitely funny.
2) We're reading scripts but will be promoting writers. We want you to write with YOUR voice, not try to second-guess what Simon and I like. Come up with something original, funny, interesting, stageable and marketable and it won't matter what we've liked in the past.
3) We fall in love with your characters and your ability to present them in a confident manner.

Hope that helps (it probably doesn't)

Cheers, Declan

Hi Declan, has a finalist ever made it to two finals with the same sitcom but with a different/improved episode? Is it better to go back to the drawing board?

Hi Rich

How's it going?

The closest was Russell with The Box (quarter-final last year, Grand Final this year). Graeme Knowles made the Grand Final two years running with different sitcoms.

Production companies and commissioners will want to see that you've got plenty of ideas and are open to discussion, so best to have a number of things you can offer them. But for the competition, it's best to present your best work.

Hope that helps

Cheers, Dec

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 22 2011, 4:12 PM BST

Declan, if you're still there, what are the biggest mistakes most entries are making?

One huge mistake that people make is substituting information for laughs.

With 15 pages to play with some writers spend 14 pages on (generally unfunny) exposition as if we need to understand absolutely everything before we will laugh.

Of course if you've spent 14 pages boring the reader they'll never get to your brilliantly funny bit on page 15.

It's better to be mystified and laughing, than fully briefed and bored.

Everytime.

Simon

Yeah, surprise us. We like surprises.

It's like going to a stand-up gig, and if the comedian makes you laugh, then surprises you and gives you a clever punchline or observation and then takes you somewhere you weren't expecting and makes you laugh while she did it, you'll trust her to do it again.

Just don't stick a load of stand-up into your sitcom. We hate that.

Quote: Declan @ September 22 2011, 8:00 PM BST

Graeme Knowles made the Grand Final two years running with different sitcoms.

Before there was a direct commission and real cash on offer. Comedy is all about timing. Angry