British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 779

Quote: chipolata @ September 11 2011, 7:11 AM BST

I tend to just accept now that British TV drama is pretty slow ...

The slowness of the emotional bits in this one weren't helped by the limitations of Amy. Even when she was 36 years older, she still couldn't act.

Intresting Amy really is a bit wooden and missed all the big scenes she had and some were biggies.

Where as Rory and Doc were really sparking off each other.

Quote: chipolata @ September 11 2011, 7:11 AM BST

I tend to just accept now that British TV drama is pretty slow compared to American stuff. We're stuck on dawdle.

Though not Who, generally; it's often pretty fleet footed.

Quote: Nogget @ September 11 2011, 10:13 AM BST

The slowness of the emotional bits in this one weren't helped by the limitations of Amy. Even when she was 36 years older, she still couldn't act.

Nah, she was good I thought.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 11 2011, 11:00 AM BST

Though not Who, generally; it's often pretty fleet footed.

Incorrect.

Quote: chipolata @ September 11 2011, 11:02 AM BST

Incorrect.

Okay.

Quote: chipolata @ September 11 2011, 11:02 AM BST

Incorrect.

I'm confused how you could particularly make the plot quicker, chipolata. Okay, you might not like the programme, but that's a different arguement.

Quote: Tim Azure @ September 11 2011, 11:48 AM BST

I'm confused how you could particularly make the plot quicker, chipolata. Okay, you might not like the programme, but that's a different arguement.

I think he means the show in general, as opposed to just this one episode.

Obviously I think he's wrong; if anything Who is one Brit show that tends to be pretty nippy. Not always, but in general.

[quote name="Matthew Stott" post="807159" date="September 11 2011, 11:00 AM

Nah, she was good I thought.[/quote]
She's certainly very good at "betraying no emotion".

The character left to grow old on their on is a staple of scifi and a chance for an actor of any calibre to really shine.

Compare Karen's performance to William Frakes or Patrick Stewart and there's no real contest.

And even the bit where she chose to die had all the dramatic impact of her picking her nose and deciding what to do with the bogy.

Whilst Rory's anger at the Doc and upset at the choices he had just zinged.

Oh and this was a proper funny episode as well as being based on smart ideas about time travel.

I was more interested in Old Amy getting all slow-mo samurai on the robots. That was pretty cool.

Looked more like Vanessa Feltz going Kill Bill on the cast of Last of the Summer Wine.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 11 2011, 12:23 PM BST

I think he means the show in general, as opposed to just this one episode. Obviously I think he's wrong; if anything Who is one Brit show that tends to be pretty nippy. Not always, but in general.

I agree that it's nippier than most British shows, but you could improve most of the episodes by shaving five or ten minutes off their running time.

Quote: chipolata @ September 11 2011, 12:45 PM BST

I agree that it's nippier than most British shows, but you could improve most of the episodes by shaving five or ten minutes off their running time.

A great many posts in this thread criticise episodes for not devoting enough time to certain story elements.

Sacrificing important character storyline to chase sequences or monsters (Doctor's Wife) or sacrificing a potentially cool monster for arc development (A Good Man Goes To War), for example.

The mix is often wrong. If anything, I think an extra ten or fifteen minutes would often work better.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 11 2011, 12:51 PM BST

A great many posts in this thread criticise episodes for not devoting enough time to certain story elements. Sacrificing important character storyline to chase sequences or monsters (Doctor's Wife) or sacrificing a potentially cool monster for arc development (A Good Man Goes To War), for example. The mix is often wrong. If anything, I think an extra ten or fifteen minutes would often work better.

An extra ten minutes would work if we had Sopranos-calibre writers on Who. Alas, we ain't.

Quote: sootyj @ September 11 2011, 12:36 PM BST

Compare Karen's performance to William Frakes or Patrick Stewart and there's no real contest.

But then I'd have to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation! :(

That was a show I used to like when I was a kid, but have no desire to ever re-watch.

Quote: chipolata @ September 11 2011, 12:55 PM BST

An extra ten minutes would work if we had Sopranos-calibre writers on Who. Alas, we ain't.

Perhaps slightly unfair to try and compare a show that has to appeal to nine year olds to something like The Sopranos! It's always worth remembering when we look at this show that it is supposed to appeal to children, as well as us Breaking Bad watching oldies.