British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 776

Quote: Jamey @ September 4 2011, 1:05 AM BST

For the second week in a row an episode is ruined by one piece of madness I can't get over.
Amy and Rory safely locked themselves in a room, were free to wait for the doctors help, what did they do?
Ofcourse they left the room.

The door had no lock and the dollies were eventually going to push through

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2011, 10:48 AM BST

The door had no lock and the dollies were eventually going to push through

Plus, for one, that would be a bit dull. Secondly, they don't know if or when The Doctor might turn up; and also, they're not helpless babes, they're active characters prepared to do things for themselves.

Quote: KLRiley @ September 4 2011, 9:30 AM BST

Liking the way that Rory is gradually usurping Amy. Her character really has become very retro since she got married. Which could be part of the story arc or the way that the writers perceive married women.
The actual ep? Apart from the Rory's 'We're dead. Again' line it was all a bit meh. Too much like Fear Her with a large dose of the Empty Child thrown in but sadly too much like the former. But at least it was a River free zone.

It was so much better than Fear Her it's untrue. though yeah, there are of course links story-wise.

It seems silly to have an episode so similar to such a poor earlier episode. But meh it was a good episode all the same.

The bit where people turned into dollies was a bit scary. And I'm a big boy.

nb I hope some one smashes that bloody monitor which repeats plot points endlessly.

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2011, 11:57 AM BST

It seems silly to have an episode so similar to such a poor earlier episode.

They've probably erased Fear Her from their memories. I wish I could.

*Flashback to Tennant running with the Olympic Torch - Arrggghh?!?!?*

Did like evil dad in the cupboard.

May go to a Who fancy dres party as evil dad in a cupboard.

Much better episode from Gatiss than his last ep. (Victory of the Daleks - yawn).

I guess if I was a small boy I would have found this pretty scary. But I'm 44. So I don't. I'm all grown up and fearless.

Made a nice change not have any River Song bollocks going on.

Quote: youngian @ August 28 2011, 9:24 AM BST

If the Tardis just becomes a plot device each week to meet Sheakespeare and Churchill it might as well be a BBC Schools history programme.

:D I'm assuming you did that on purpose.

I like the long story arc. I always prefer Doctor Who when it's a story going over several episodes, like in the old days. The stand alone ones are often the weakest in my opinion, although there have been some good ones.

Anyone read the new Doctor Who book? The few I have bothered to read previously were almost all utter dreck but I'm tempted by the new one as it's written by Michael Moorcock.

On the plus side, the wooden dolls were a nice villain...right up until the point Amy got turned into one. At which point you realised it was all reversible and any threat or jeopardy evaporated. I also liked the "Eastenders Land" line.

On the down side, it was pretty boring. Most of it seemed to be Amy and Rory running around an old house, while the Doctor talked to a man with a babies head. Worse, it was Atmosphere-By-Numbers: Creepy nursery rhyme sung by children - check. Things happening in the background that characters in the foreground aren't aware of - check. Lots of shadows - check... The performances were pretty ropey too. Chav Landlord was about as threatening as Stott, while the old woman actress made a surprisingly unconvincing old woman.

No more like this, please!

Quote: chipolata @ September 5 2011, 10:21 AM BST

the old woman actress made a surprisingly unconvincing old woman.

I think that was the old woman from 'How Not To Live Your Life' wasn't it?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 5 2011, 10:42 AM BST

I think that was the old woman from 'How Not To Live Your Life' wasn't it?

That's the one. I like here, but she's not got much range.

Quote: chipolata @ September 5 2011, 10:44 AM BST

That's the one. I like here, but she's not got much range.

She's probably reading this and having a little cry as we speak/type.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 5 2011, 10:48 AM BST

She's probably reading this and having a little cry as we speak/type.

She'll probably PM me a snotty comment like that cowardly Welsh tit.
Yes you, Ryhs Thomas! You're the cowardly Welsh tit!

Quote: chipolata @ September 5 2011, 10:51 AM BST

She'll probably PM me a snotty comment like that cowardly Welsh tit.
Yes you, Ryhs Thomas! You're the cowardly Welsh tit!

Have you mispelt his name on purpose to get his gander up?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 5 2011, 10:53 AM BST

Have you mispelt his name on purpose to get his gander up?

I doubt the ridiculous fop can even get his gander up anymore. Or his dander.