British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 4,020

Just seen my nephew off on his first day of school. My mum got a photo taken with him, stood in the exact same spot where she got one taken with me on my first day.

http://www.google.co.uk/ Go Freddie!

Just been past the offices of my old employer who made me redundant in 2003. The office closed completely in early 2004 when the operation moved to the head office in Worcester.

The 'To Let' sign has finally come down on the premises so it looks like that after nearly eight years it will have a new tenant but I am reminded about the underhand way the office was closed in the first place.

In January 2003 the company had 65 employees but rumours had spread that the office was to be closed. The Chief Executive of the group came down and said this was not the case but only a couple of months later the workforce was cut by 50%.

Some more time went by and then a really bizarre thing happened. I was working on a corporate brochure which talked about our three offices: Worcester, Dublin and Peterborough. Hidden in amongst a series of copy changes was the removal of every mention of Peterborough in the brochure.

I went and spoke to my line manager who was stunned. He then went straight straight to the office manager and was gone for ages. It's perfectly possible that I was the first person to twig that the end was nigh.

Some of the remaining staff were offered the opportunity to relocate to Worcester but only a few took it. The company continues to exist but the way our office closed still leaves a sour taste.

In the end I was redundant for one day so it worked out fine for me but I'll always remember how the Group chief had said, "The company will not close" - we'd simply asked the wrong question. What we should've said is "Will this office be closed?" and then we may have known what the plans were going to be earlier.

UPDATE: I see that the part of the group that I was in has changed its name (again) and is now based in Knaresborough near York. Blimey, it makes you wonder what I'd be doing if I'd taken the offer of relocation.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 5 2011, 9:16 AM BST

http://www.google.co.uk/ Go Freddie!

That is so good! :D Watched it like 10 times already. How can I save it? Lol

I'm sure somebody will upload it to YouTube.

*edit* Looks like they already have - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe0gIFxYhrk

Quote: Tuumble @ September 5 2011, 9:40 AM BST

Just been past the offices of my old employer who made me redundant in 2003. The office closed completely in early 2004 when the operation moved to the head office in Worcester.

The 'To Let' sign has finally come down on the premises so it looks like that after nearly eight years it will have a new tenant but I am reminded about the underhand way the office was closed in the first place.

In January 2003 the company had 65 employees but rumours had spread that the office was to be closed. The Chief Executive of the group came down and said this was not the case but only a couple of months later the workforce was cut by 50%.

Some more time went by and then a really bizarre thing happened. I was working on a corporate brochure which talked about our three offices: Worcester, Dublin and Peterborough. Hidden in amongst a series of copy changes was the removal of every mention of Peterborough in the brochure.

I went and spoke to my line manager who was stunned. He then went straight straight to the office manager and was gone for ages. It's perfectly possible that I was the first person to twig that the end was nigh.

Some of the remaining staff were offered the opportunity to relocate to Worcester but only a few took it. The company continues to exist but the way our office closed still leaves a sour taste.

In the end I was redundant for one day so it worked out fine for me but I'll always remember how the Group chief had said, "The company will not close" - we'd simply asked the wrong question. What we should've said is "Will this office be closed?" and then we may have known what the plans were going to be earlier.

UPDATE: I see that the part of the group that I was in has changed its name (again) and is now based in Knaresborough near York. Blimey, it makes you wonder what I'd be doing if I'd taken the offer of relocation.

A few years ago the company I worked for was insuring everybody there would be no mass redundancies. A few weeks later, one of the departments were going about their business as usual on a Friday when somebody came in and started measuring up their office. The supervisor asked the person what they were doing, and was told that they were preparing the office for another department that were moving in there the following Monday. The supervisor then asked where their department was moving to, and was told that their department was no longer going to exist. Two hours later a member of HR came in and told everybody they were being laid off. Nice.

Chip's bought the Season 2 Modern Family DVD on the way in and is looking forward to getting home and watching it.

Quote: chipolata @ September 5 2011, 10:42 AM BST

Chip's bought the Season 2 Modern Family DVD on the way in and is looking forward to getting home and watching it.

I watched both seasons of that in the space of a fortnight having caught a couple of episodes on a flight. Brilliant show.

Ah, that's out is it. Saw the first season. Loved that. Suprisingly unsenitmental for that kind of thing. I shall have to follow suit and purchase.

There seemed to be a marathon of that on telly at the weekend, I saw about 6 episodes.

Quote: zooo @ September 5 2011, 10:57 AM BST

There seemed to be a marathon of that on telly at the weekend, I saw about 6 episodes.

You're Sky Girl. I'm not.

Quote: chipolata @ September 5 2011, 10:59 AM BST

You're Sky Girl. I'm not.

Yep. Us freeview boys gotta go and get the DVD, like.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 5 2011, 11:01 AM BST

Us freeview boys

Ayyyyy!!! Cool

Got mine in the post last week. Cool

I'm well out of the loop.