British Comedy Guide

Is plagiarism showing itself on here? Page 4

I also wrote a "Go ogle" line only to find out that stand up comedian does a much better version of, essentially, the same joke, just one of those universal observations that comedians and comedy writers tend to make.

Thing is, I thought thet's how the name originated anyway, go ogle's a very American sounding phrase. I assumed that was its origin.

The Ordanance Survey maps are copyrighted by very subtle means; they include a few backstreets which don't actually exist, and so if anyone rips off their maps, they can prove it. Why not do some thing similar with your routines? Include a surreptitious code which which only you know is unique to yourself? For example;
"Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the © all rights reserved Larry the Gagsmith 2011 other side."

The contest has been devised by creative agency called Poop to draw attention to the health messages of Global Handwashing Day on October 15.

And we'll have to counteract that with "Don't run your taps day". Which will then lead to, "Don't use hand sanitizer Day". And so on...

A professional comedian would be classed as a professional comedian probably due to some talent and hard work. I find it strange that people think they would then come and trawl through an online forum full of non-professionals material. I'm sure they have more creative ways to spend their time.

Quote: Griff @ April 18 2011, 2:37 PM BST

the industry are looking on the BCG boards to steal material is laughable.

I thought industry-types trawl through Critique looking for undiscovered talent. They then contact you via PM to say 'Hey, we like your stuff, please accept this cheque for £30k as a advance whilst you write an award winning sit-com for us'.

Or at least that's what I've been told happens >_< :S Whistling nnocently

Yes but I did ask you not to tell anyone. Angry

Quote: Ben @ April 18 2011, 5:50 PM BST

A professional comedian would be classed as a professional comedian probably due to some talent and hard work. I find it strange that people think they would then come and trawl through an online forum full of non-professionals material. I'm sure they have more creative ways to spend their time.

I think problems can occur when they suddenly become more successful and get booked for gigs or shows which eats up their pre-written material. Some look for inspiration and get it easily, as you say, these are probably the best ones, but some may look for it in the old places and not get any more, or it might seem repetitive, so in desperation to fill up their act, they could possibly, in theory scour through the websites they used to visit before they made it. I don't know stand up very well, but I hear there is a lot of similar material and routines and themes out there.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 18 2011, 6:43 PM BST

Yes but I did ask you not to tell anyone. Angry

It was nice meeting you the other day Alfred, I've never been in a Travel Lodge before.

ps the cheque bounced, could you send me a new one? Fanx!

A few days ago in the Big Brother thread, I wrote:

'When you type 'are Jedward' into Google the suggestions are:

Are Jedward gay?
Are Jedward retarded?
Are Jedward gay with each other?'

This appeared in yesterday's PopBitch mailout.

Not plagiarism at all, of course, but I did wonder if someone from PopBitch reads this forum.

Quote: TopBanana @ August 26 2011, 3:11 PM BST

A few days ago in the Big Brother thread, I wrote:

'When you type 'are Jedward' into Google the suggestions are:

Are Jedward gay?
Are Jedward retarded?
Are Jedward gay with each other?'

This appeared in yesterday's PopBitch mailout.

Not plagiarism at all, of course, but I did wonder if someone from PopBitch reads this forum.

:D

Don't think there is any way of knowing for sure!!