British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 772

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 27 2011, 8:33 PM BST

I would say the opposite. If you look at something like Lost or 24, the writers clearly had no idea where they were going more than about five or six episodes ahead of time. Moffat has clearly had most of this story mapped out years in advance, and it's probably going to stand up favourably to fan scrutiny.

Fans! Those arses.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 27 2011, 8:33 PM BST

I would say the opposite. If you look at something like Lost

Yeah, you could watch and love every mental thing they did in Lost, but it was clear they were making it up as they went along and had no clear idea about how it all fit together.

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2011, 8:36 PM BST

Fans! Those arses.

Yeah, I was thinking about the nerds who will draw charts explaining the timelines, etc.

I suspect Moffat has done the same.

Casual viewers don't care so much about that kind of thing, obviously, but if the logic is there and explained adequately (as I think it is so far) that's fine by me.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 27 2011, 8:40 PM BST

Yeah, I was thinking about the nerds who will draw charts explaining the timelines, etc. I suspect Moffat has done the same. Casual viewers don't care so much about that kind of thing, obviously, but if the logic is there and explained adequately (as I think it is so far) that's fine by me.

The jury's still out on whether it'll all make sense. I just think the arc's a bit meh.

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2011, 8:43 PM BST

The jury's still out on whether it'll all make sense.

Well sure, we can't know until it's finished.

Red Dwarf and Terminator 2 already been mentioned, but nobody's brought up Hitch Hiker's yet.

We seem to have an implementation of the Ultimate Question trope in Who now.

If the question turns out to be "Doctor who?" I promise to never watch the show again.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 27 2011, 8:43 PM BST

Well sure, we can't know until it's finished.

It's a bit like life in that respect.

Matt Smith was superb again. You almost take for granted how brilliant he is now. He's easilly one of the best leads the shows ever had. Liked the new coat, too.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 27 2011, 8:46 PM BST

Red Dwarf and Terminator 2 already been mentioned, but nobody's brought up Hitch Hiker's yet.

We seem to have an implementation of the Ultimate Question trope in Who now.

If the question turns out to be "Doctor who?" I promise to never watch the show again.

It can be a question they have already asked can it?

I just read someone say, as a genuine criticism, that the episode was historically inaccurate as, for starters, Hitler very rarely actually sat at a desk.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 27 2011, 10:39 PM BST

I just read someone say, as a genuine criticism, that the episode was historically inaccurate as, for starters, Hitler very rarely actually sat at a desk.

Bloody hell, Stott, don't tell me you go looking for other Who debates on top of this!

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2011, 10:46 PM BST

Bloody hell, Stott, don't tell me you go looking for other Who debates on top of this!

It would be impossible to top this thread.

I saw that on Facebook.

One of my friends was complaining about how the guy playing hitler looked nothing like him.
Someone swiftly informed him that the real hitler must have been busy.

EDIT: Apparently this was posted at 12:07 AM, I wasnt aware there was such a thing?

Matt Smith trying to get up on the cane & sliding around was a lovely bit of comical physical performance.
The rest was a bit rubbish.
The minature people just reminded me of the Numbskulls.

When Amy's dashing cool friend turned up at the beginning, I thought the worse; they've turned this into some BBC3/poor man's Buffy teenage Sci Fi series. And even worse when the yoof club gang went off to meet Hitler it had turned into the Tomorrow People.

How wrong I was. Stephen Moffat has clearly gone bananas, but in a good way. I'm not too sure where this is going or if he has bitten off more then he can chew with his non-linear time trip storylines. But that's what great time travel fiction should be about

If the Tardis just becomes a plot device each week to meet Sheakespeare and Churchill it might as well be a BBC Schools history programme.