British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 771

Quote: sootyj @ August 27 2011, 8:07 PM BST

where everything happened to dot the i's from the last series.

Yes, it was following up the last episode and filling in some story.

Quote: sootyj @ August 27 2011, 8:07 PM BST

Oh and the mystery character everyone seems to know. Was done so much better by Buffy.

What mystery character? River?

But that was all.

Quote: sootyj @ August 27 2011, 8:11 PM BST

But that was all.

Yeah, so? It was basically following up the last episode and showing us the start of River; no there wasn't much of a stand alone ep story.

Melody ne Riversong.
And all that nonsense with magic regeneration powers is starting to get really dull.

And theres a huge contradiction in "we torture people at the end of their lives" and "lets torture hitler before he does anything"

Quote: sootyj @ August 27 2011, 8:17 PM BST

And theres a huge contradiction in "we torture people at the end of their lives" and "lets torture hitler before he does anything"

They did say "it's 1938, we're too early".

Quote: sootyj @ August 27 2011, 8:17 PM BST

I'm pretty sure there was a line where those in the robot make it clear they've arrived too early.

You're such a bipolar viewer Sooty, it's either brilliant, or a complete, disgusting mess!

Sometimes, like this one, it was neither.

The trouble with the River Song and Dr dying storyline - and the summer break didn't help - is that it seems to have been dragging on forever. It's just got dull.

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2011, 8:19 PM BST

The trouble with the River Song and Dr dying storyline - and the summer break didn't help - is that it seems to have been dragging on forever. It's just got dull.

Yeah, but you seemed bored of the whole arc from day one, Mr Moany! :D

Actually Chip, do you remember the last episode you actually properly liked? You always seem so down on the show, but then claim to really like it still. Do you know the last ep where you just enjoyed it?

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2011, 8:19 PM BST

Eight episodes is "forever"?

Have you ever watched any arc-heavy US stuff?

I totally dig the arc episodes. The standalones, as a rule, bore the buggery out of me.

Enjoyed this weeks. Still hoping Amy and Rory leave soon :P

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 27 2011, 8:23 PM BST

Eight episodes is "forever"? Have you ever watched any arc-heavy US stuff? I totally dig the arc episodes. The standalones, as a rule, bore the buggery out of me.

I love US shows with a big arc. They know how to do it. We don't. And this shit arc proves it.

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2011, 8:27 PM BST

I love US shows with a big arc. They know how to do it. We don't. And this shit arc proves it.

LOL

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 27 2011, 8:22 PM BST

Yeah, but you seemed bored of the whole arc from day one, Mr Moany! :D Actually Chip, do you remember the last episode you actually properly liked? You always seem so down on the show, but then claim to really like it still. Do you know the last ep where you just enjoyed it?

I enjoy watching it, Stott. I even enjoyed watching this episode, but I also get frustrated because it could be so much better.

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2011, 8:27 PM BST

I would say the opposite. If you look at something like Lost or 24, the writers clearly had no idea where they were going more than about five or six episodes ahead of time. Moffat has clearly had most of this story mapped out years in advance, and it's probably going to stand up favourably to fan scrutiny.

Quote: chipolata @ August 27 2011, 8:31 PM BST

I enjoy watching it, Stott. I even enjoyed watching this episode,

Tell that to whoever does your typing then; wouldn't kill you to knock out a positive post once in a while! :P

This one was prob a 6/10 for me, would have preferred more of a proper story. I do like the look of next weeks though. Dark, spooky, and creepy looking dolls. Could be good.