British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 482

They'll have to drag me kicking and screaming before I'll let them put something under my skin.

Quote: keewik @ August 12 2011, 9:02 PM BST

They'll have to drag me kicking and screaming

Then that's what they'll do.

Although, seriously, it'll never happen. Ever, in the future of humanity. It would require international consent, or at least Europe, even then people would just not go along with it.

Illumunatai theorists severly over-estimate and over-credit governments.

Personally, I don't object to the idea of a national DNA base, does that make me a dick? I honestly don't know, I consider myself libertarian but I honestly would not object. A bit like Lee's mother-in-law, I think if you've nothing to hide (ref.dna) why not?

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 12 2011, 9:11 PM BST

Then that's what they'll do.

Although, seriously, itll never happen. Ever, in the future of humanity. It would international consent, or at least Europe, even then people just not go along with it.

Illumunatai theorists severly over-estimate and over-credit governments.

Personally, I don't object to the ide of a national DNA base, does that make me a dick? I honestly don't know, I consider myself libertarian but I honestly would not object. A bit like Lee's mother-in-law, I think if you've nothing to hide (ref.dna) why not?

You'd have to trust the authorities not to fit you up/confuse your DNA with someone elses/lose it and claim you must be a terrorist who hid from having it done/generally think it's okay for the elite to own an actual piece of you.
But they can't even enforce ID cards even though they've tried to get the public onside in times of high emotion terror attacks, so not going to happen anytime soon

Yeah, incompetence is a bitch. Can't trust anyone, plus, who actually gets the right to have access such a database.

I'm politically confused about it. Logically I know it's a step toward dystopia, but emotionally, I felt strongly about it after the case involving the young pretty girl who was murdered on her own doorstep. The police suspected her boyfriend strongly has they'd just had a row, and the piece of shit who did it evaded capture for months, only to be caught during a swab for an unrelated bar fight.

Tragic story, yet a sort of justice prevailed.

The microchips are nonsensenical, serves no purpose or sense, but DNA, shame theres no foolproof/ error proof way of doing it.

I may be misunderstanding, but as far as I'm aware DNA doesn't exactly prove it's you, it just excludes the possibility that it's others, so in a crime scenario it's pretty convincing that there's a one in a million chance it wasn't you, but in terms of a national or worldwide database, that's possibly enough reasonable doubt if a conviction rests entirely on DNA. Might be wrong, can anyone who understands science help me out?

Quote: AJGO @ August 12 2011, 9:37 PM BST

can anyone who understands science help me out?

Someone has a shifty look in their eye, they're guilty.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 12 2011, 9:44 PM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 12 2011, 9:44 PM BST

It's bad etiquette to not credit New Scientist when you quote them :)

If microchipping happens it will have very little to do with the government.

And most of us will buy in because it's simply so convenient.

From electronic bank accounts, to e-mail adresses the amount of info/liberty we cheerfully surrender is vast.

The idea that some sinister government body will try and track/control us is frankly laughable.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2011, 9:53 PM BST

And most of us will buy in because it's simply so convenient.

From electronic bank accounts, to e-mail adresses the amount of info/liberty we cheerfully surrender is vast.

Yes, in fact anyone who doesn't get computers implanted will be at such a disadvantage that the practise will become essential.

And then the governments will be able to track us wherever we are.

You won't be allowed to get the new Mario Kart.
I'm signing up

Won't criminals take to hacking people's arms off to steal all their data?

They'll just stick a USB up your *Moved to Critique

Quote: AJGO @ August 12 2011, 10:33 PM BST

Won't criminals take to hacking people's arms off to steal all their data?

Gives a whole new meaning to 'being hacked'.

Quote: Nogget @ August 12 2011, 10:32 PM BST

Yes, in fact anyone who doesn't get computers implanted will be at such a disadvantage that the practise will become essential. And then the governments will be able to track us wherever we are.

I don't think we've got to worry about that for a while yet. And considering how many major government IT projects just piss money down the drain any attempts will be an expensive failure.