British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 479

Yes. Send them to Australia.

If the cops had declared a curfew after the first night and started shooting the second night (with rubber or real bullets and) the whole thing would have ended very quickly. They waited far too long to "get tough" and reinforce their numbers on the streets. Heads should roll at the top of the chain.

Quote: AJGO @ August 12 2011, 11:18 AM BST

Quite.
There is no justification for the actions of rioters and looters, but if you're consistently told f**k you by those at the top, supposedly representing the mores of society, then it's not surprising if 'society' gets told f**k you back.

While each of the individuals involved must be held responsible for their own actions, this still doesn't solve the problem of this happening again in future, along with other aspects of day to day crime and lack of shared morals. What can be done at the core of society that there aren't any, or many, people who think and feel like this?

I love a bit of retribution and am particularly fond of knee jerk reactions, but if people lose their housing then they won't cease to exist and their attitudes won't be improved. There must be longer term solutions..

We could start showing Dixon of Dock Green in secondary schools.

The most depressing part of the whole incident was that all the rioter's imaginations could think of looting was consumer goods. When social order brakes down and people are still stealing X-Boxes then it almost makes you despair for modern society.

Quote: zooo @ August 12 2011, 1:50 PM BST

Terrible idea.

Australian brogue + Estuary English = End of Civilisation.

Quote: zooo @ August 12 2011, 1:50 PM BST

Hmm, is there an uninhabited island somewhere we could use? Then they won't be a danger to civilised people, we could provide huts so no-one could dispute the effectiveness of making them homeless, and it wouldn't be infringing human rights because who wouldn't want to live on a tropical island full of people who share their attitudes?
Think you might be onto something there

At least "innit" at the end of each sentence would sound like a question.

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 12 2011, 2:24 PM BST

We could start showing Dixon of Dock Green in secondary schools.

The most depressing part of the whole incident was that all the rioter's imaginations could think of looting was consumer goods.

Consumerism sucks on so many levels.

Quote: AJGO @ August 12 2011, 2:26 PM BST

Hmm, is there an uninhabited island somewhere we could use?

Yes there are, the Desolation Islands in the South Indian Ocean.

Woo! We have a plan.

Think about it guys.. do we really need ANOTHER Australia?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 12 2011, 3:23 PM BST

Think about it guys.. do we really need ANOTHER Australia?

Maybe the new one will be able to play cricket properly?

I <3 the Ocker accent, it's great fun to speak. I reckon we poms should have a 'talk like an Australian' day, it would cheer us up no end.

No offence to our Australian chums, but I can't stand the accent. It grates on me almost as much as some Scouse accents. I'm not sure why, but I struggle to watch any of your TV shows. Am I a racist?

Quote: Leevil @ August 12 2011, 3:34 PM BST

No offence to our Australian chums, but I can't stand the accent.

And yet I imagine every post of yours to be spoken by Dame Edna.

Quote: AJGO @ August 12 2011, 2:26 PM BST

Hmm, is there an uninhabited island somewhere we could use?

Sheppey? There are a few inhabitants but most of those who are not already in the prison should be.

Quote: Timbo @ August 12 2011, 3:44 PM BST

Sheppey? There are a few inhabitants but most of those who are not already in the prison should be.

I <3 Sheppey

Pitcairn.

Quote: Leevil @ August 12 2011, 3:34 PM BST

No offence to our Australian chums, but I can't stand the accent. It grates on me almost as much as some Scouse accents. I'm not sure why, but I struggle to watch any of your TV shows. Am I a racist?

My mates and I all agree that the Scouse accent has changed for the worse, over the last 10 or 15 years. There were some teenage lads standing in my road talking the other day, and I could've sworn they were speaking Cantonese! Gone are the days of Scousers talking like the Beatles. The only people you seem to hear talking like them these days are middle-aged or older. The same thing has happened with the old Cockney accent and the Steve Irwin-esque Australian accent.