British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 477

Quote: AJGO @ August 11 2011, 5:01 PM BST

Enquiry

'To enquire' means to request information/look into. From this comes the noun 'a/the enquiry'

Examples:
We ought to make some enquiries about getting our work vetted by Future Perfect.

Inquiry

This is favoured in English only when talking of investigations.

Example:
There will be an inquiry into this riot.

(From future-perfect.co.uk, repeated in many other grammar guides)

@ Tim: BOOYAKASHA!!

Quote: KLRiley @ August 11 2011, 9:12 AM BST

And why the unwarranted swipe at Winehouse in the middle of it?

Yeah, Gawd bless her.....she was the people's junkie.

Quote: AJGO @ August 11 2011, 5:01 PM BST

Enquiry

'To enquire' means to request information/look into. From this comes the noun 'a/the enquiry'

Examples:
We ought to make some enquiries about getting our work vetted by Future Perfect.

Inquiry

This is favoured in English only when talking of investigations.

Example:
There will be an inquiry into this riot.

(From future-perfect.co.uk, repeated in many other grammar guides)

Perhaps I am getting mixed up.

I understand it to be casual = enquire, formal = inquire.

Magistrates handing down some fairly brutal sentences: six months for stealing bottled water from Lidl ( a first offence); 16 weeks for giving a policeman some lip.

Not saying it is wrong to make an example per se, but it does seem out of kilter with the normal slap on the wrist sentencing for persistent violent criminals. Are a lot of crimes committed on one night really worse for a society than the everyday lawlessness that drains hope from our cities 365 days a year?

By the way.

Has anyone else mentioned this half arsed petition to remove benefits from convicted rioters, sorry, looters?

Any persons convicted of criminal acts during the current London riots should have all financial benefits removed. No tax payer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them.

Well that's well thought through.

'OK you are a looter/rioter/feral scum so you get no money. Sorry.'

'That's ok then, I'll go and sit in my room and think how I can become a better person. Promise I won't go out robbing or mugging while I do.'

Anybody that signs that petition shouldn't be allowed to breed.

But surely if we remove their benefits they will all go in to paid employment and start contributing usefully to society? (Not that I would employ the feral scum myself...)

I guess it would be easier if you executed them?

Not to mention how many of those who have been charged so far aren't on benefits anyway.

Quote: DaButt @ August 12 2011, 12:32 AM BST

I guess it would be easier if you executed them?

Easier, yes, but...

Quote: Badge @ August 12 2011, 12:32 AM BST

Not to mention how many of those who have been charged so far aren't on benefits anyway.

They will be once they lose their jobs as a result of being sent to prison and on release find themselves unemployable because of their criminal record.

Quote: Timbo @ August 12 2011, 12:31 AM BST

But surely if we remove their benefits they will all go in to paid employment and start contributing usefully to society?

You know, I knew there was an alternative, it just wouldn't come to me.

True enough. The implication some have given though is that all the looters are benefit scroungers already.

Undoubtedly they are, but what good would stopping their benefits do apart from appeasing the Richard Littlejohns of the world?

A structured programme linking benefits to attendance at training courses might work but, as one 'protester' said we're letting all the A8 nationals (Poles) into the country that are taking the jobs that would have been available to The Illiterati.

Allegedly.

My point is that the looters aren't all on benefits.

Quote: Badge @ August 12 2011, 12:54 AM BST

My point is that the looters aren't all on benefits.

I'm sure McDonalds will find some new staff.